Monday, July 28, 2008
Simplicity 2938 - The Dress
Pattern Description: Misses'/Women's Dress or top, pants in two lengths, jacket and tie belt.
Pattern Sizing: sizing 10 - 28W. I made view A size 14 tapering between 12 and 14 below the waist.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were easy to follow. No problems.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked to pleating at the neckline.
Fabric Used: I used a silky polyester print from JoAnn's Fabrics.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I only made a few alterations.
- For FBA, I tested Connie Crawford's alteration.
Normally I use the typical FBA for princess seams. But recently I've noticed that the front of my dress hands lower than the rest. So I decided to use this alternative method. In the future I may combine the two for better easing of the seams.
- Added three inches to the length.
- Instead of purchased single fold bias tape, I made my own out of the self fabric.
- I inserted the zipper at the CB instead of the side seam.
- I also added Darts to the back of the dress for a better fit. Otherwise the dress stands away from my body from the shoulder blades down.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes and yes. I plan to make the jacket and the top.
Conclusion: This is a good pattern for beginners and is a great wardrobe builder.