Last Friday I completed a fair amount of work on my niece's dinner dance outfit. I was so happy; then I thought: Now I can work on some dresses for me. I finished two. That's another post.
Okay back to my niece's ensemble. First, I finished the jacket made from M5669. I really like the ruffled collar on this jacket. My dislike is the finishing on the under side. I placed the upper ruffle carefully above the lower one on the stitching line, but still couldn't keep the sewing line as straight as I would have liked. I tried twice. So I thought: What could I do to cover the unsightly stitching? Ribbon or bias tape. So I picked up a pack of lavender bias tape from Walmart. Another thing I noticed about the jacket was there is a little puckering at the sleeve. Hopefully, I can press it out, but if not I may have to redo the stitching. On Monday afternoon, my sister brought my niece over for her second fitting of her dinner dance outfit.
Here is my niece wearing the jacket.
I added a little move around in the middle section as the muslin was tight. For her that was uncomfortable and caused some winkles in the upper bodice. The dress is almost finished except for attaching the lining to the waist, hemming and pressing. It's done.
There was one thing that struck me as odd about this pattern and that is the front skirt had about 1/3 the gathering width of the back skirt. So if you plan to make this dress you may want to consider increasing the width of the front skirt pattern to match that of the back skirt. On the pattern photo the gathering is equal on the front and back.
I didn't start on the purse yet. I'll work on the later. So my nieces dress should be completed by the weekend.
Stay Tuned; more client projects and posting of my dresses soon!