Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Dinner Dance Dress - Part II

Last Friday I completed a fair amount of work on my niece's dinner dance outfit. I was so happy; then I thought: Now I can work on some dresses for me. I finished two. That's another post.

Okay back to my niece's ensemble. First, I finished the jacket made from M5669. I really like the ruffled collar on this jacket. My dislike is the finishing on the under side. I placed the upper ruffle carefully above the lower one on the stitching line, but still couldn't keep the sewing line as straight as I would have liked. I tried twice. So I thought: What could I do to cover the unsightly stitching? Ribbon or bias tape. So I picked up a pack of lavender bias tape from Walmart. Another thing I noticed about the jacket was there is a little puckering at the sleeve. Hopefully, I can press it out, but if not I may have to redo the stitching. On Monday afternoon, my sister brought my niece over for her second fitting of her dinner dance outfit.

Here is my niece wearing the jacket.




I added a little move around in the middle section as the muslin was tight. For her that was uncomfortable and caused some winkles in the upper bodice. The dress is almost finished except for attaching the lining to the waist, hemming and pressing. It's done.







There was one thing that struck me as odd about this pattern and that is the front skirt had about 1/3 the gathering width of the back skirt. So if you plan to make this dress you may want to consider increasing the width of the front skirt pattern to match that of the back skirt. On the pattern photo the gathering is equal on the front and back.




I didn't start on the purse yet. I'll work on the later. So my nieces dress should be completed by the weekend.

Stay Tuned; more client projects and posting of my dresses soon!
C

27 comments:

  1. She looks beautiful. I love the color of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. That fabric is not easy to handle, but it looks like you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Great work for a beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't she look so beautiful. I have eyed this pattern off for my daughters graduation later this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful dress, I love the color and your niece looks so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I adore the ruffle on the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty dress for a young girl. The colour is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! I love when young people get all pretty and dressed up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did an awesome job!!! She looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She looks beautiful in that dress!! You did a great job. I love that color you used. I know she just loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is adorable and the color looks lovely on her...great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She looks absolutely gorgeous in your creation- bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous job! I love the color on your niece—very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a really pretty dress! She looks beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very beatiful and gorgeus work!! your niece will is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, how pretty! Very lovely and so appropriate for a young lady. Good for you for such a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's beautiful, just like I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous dress and like the ruffle detail on the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely dress and you can tell how much she likes it...she's just glowing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful dress. I love the color!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. She looks beautiful. I love that pattern. The bodice looks tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The dress looks great and the color is stunning on your niece! She looks absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A gorgeous outfit! Your niece is a lucky girl to have you as an aunt

    ReplyDelete
  24. She looks stunning! The ensemble complements her natural beauty so well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, you guys look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin