Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Jacket Wear - M4656



I contemplated not posted a review for this coat/jacket. This is my first time using this pattern. I was in a rush to make it and didn't feel like a did my best work on it. The fit is fine. The finishing wasn't as crisp as I would have liked it to be.

I selected this coat/jacket to complement B5032. The day of the banquet, we got about three inches of heavy wet snow.

This pattern is out of print and is not in the McCalls pattern online database anymore. So I scanned and uploaded it into my flickr photostream. M4656

Pattern Description: Misses/Miss Petite Unlined Jacket in Two Lengths, top, bias skirt, pants and flower.

Pattern Sizing: 8 to 22; I made 14 with a few alterations/changes.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. The pattern is true to the photo.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were easy. All sewing levels should be able to follow them with no problems.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I purchased this pattern a few years ago thinking it was a good basic pattern to make some nice coordinates from. It has clean lines and looks a bit sophisticated. I also like the inclusion of the flower pattern and instructions for making it.

Fabric Used: dull satin and polyester lining from Hancock's.
Notions: I used some that I removed from a thrift store sweater.





I noticed in the photos that they are too heavy for the jacket. I'm thinking of swapping them out for a lighter set of buttons.




Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I only made a few alterations and design changes.
- FBA - no photos, but the adjustment is the same made for one piece bodice pattern.
- The height of the collar was more than I cared for. So I trimmed out about 1/2".
- I underlined the entire coat/jacket.
and
- I added a few inches to the length for my height, but I forgot to take into consideration the length of my dress. As it is the dress was longer than the coat. Initially, I worried about this combination being a fashion no, no. But after some surfing on the web, I found a few photos displaying coats longer than the dress. So I decided to go ahead with wearing the coat with the dress.

On the Next Try - I will reduce the ease in the sleeve cap. I had to rip them out twice and still wasn't completely satisfied with the outcome. The underlining may have cause some of the difficulty with setting the sleeves.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I plan to sew it again. It's a easy versatile pattern. That could easily become a TNT. And yes, I would recommend it to others if you have it in your collection.






Conclusion: Although this coat/jacket did not turn out perfect, I like this pattern and think this it's worth a try.

Parting Shots:
Pictures of my place of worship on March 28, 2009.



23 comments:

  1. You look so elegant! Love, love, love the sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a smart choice for the dress. I see what you mean about the buttons, though. Too bad as they are very pretty! Oh the snow - I am sorry you got it, we've had snow at Easter before, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous outfit! Great colour and I agree that it is a versatile pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look gorgeous! Very flattering dress and coat. Definitely too bad about the buttons, as they are perfect for the coat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's very elegant! You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the bling added to the jacket. Looks really nice in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the jacket on you - it's very classy looking and it works so well with he dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the jacket is beautiful and it looks fantastic with the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a fabulous coat, and it looks great in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that jacket is gorgeous and you look so elegant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oi, sou o Clausewitz e gostaria de convidar você para visitar meu blog e conhecer alguma coisa sobre o Brasil. Abração

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look very glamorous in that outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and elegant. I love the coat and the dress. I also like the pink & yellow floral dress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a fan of the dress being the exact same length as or longer than the coat. If the dress is shorter, I feel like I look like a flasher! Very pretty outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! A very elegant outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your jacket it beautiful, it looks great on you. You're always gorgeous in your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you look absolutely beautiful! and i think u look like the First Lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cennetta, you know you're a damn good sewer when you say something that is not your best work still looks stellar. It looks so rich and chic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The coat looks great and complements your look perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just beautiful - and so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oppsss ... I missed this coat. is very beautiful, Cennetta. one question: the dull satin is similar to duchess satin ? ...

    congratulations on another beautiful garment.

    greetings, Paco

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin