Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I Love My Maxi - M5624



So many sewists/designers/fashionistas have made beautiful maxi dresses. This weekend I made my first. I'm hooked and am already planning to make another. It's funny how my "To Make" list keeps growing. At the same time, I'm moving new garments to the top, "Must Make This Season".

A few weeks ago, I blogged making a mini wardrobe for DD (Career). The "project" hasn't been scratched from the list, but moved further down the list.

Pattern Description: MISSES' DRESS IN TWO LENGTHS AND JUMPSUIT: Close fitting dresses A, B or jumpsuit C have self-lined bodice with pleats, midriff and center back zipper; dresses A, B have very loose fitting skirt; jumpsuit C have semi-fitted pants.

From the pattern I made the jumpsuit and the maxi dress. I will try to review both in the single review. Hopefully I will not confuse anyone making sure I identify which garment I speaking about as a complete the review.



Pattern Sizing: 6 to 18; I made size 14 for both with modifications.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Pretty much.




Were the instructions easy to follow? Pretty much. The instructions on how to twist the straps didn't tell you how many times to twist. I ended up twisting them about nine times. Then I had to shorten them by one inch. Other than that, the instructions were okay, standard.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? There are a few things that I like and dislike about the pattern.

Like:
I like the design of the bodice and thought the twisted straps were interesting. I primarily bought the pattern for the maxi dress, but thought the jumpsuit was worth a try as well. In the end, I still liked the maxi dress more than the jumpsuit.

Dislike:
After I completed both garments, worked on them at the same time, I didn't like the twisted straps so much. They feel a little bulky and don't lay as flat at the join of the bodice front and back.

The bodice front is a little lower than my comfort. If I use the bodice again, I'll bring it up about an inch.

Pleats at the bodice/strap join. This really isn't a dislike, but I think it would be better if I sew them down. It would looks neater.

Caution: The back is low too. You will need to wear a bra that fasten about two inches lower than the standard.

Fabric Used: Maxi dress - polyester print (red, biege, brown, black) from Hancock. On sale, I can't pass up a sale. I didn't pre-wash it.

Jumpsuit - Some mystery fabric (eggplant) with stretch from Vogues Fabric on Roosevelt. I did pre-wash it.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:

The same bodice was used for both. I did a FBA (compare original and new draft) and shorten the straps by one inch. Even with the FBA I noticed a very small gap at the side bust area near the armpit. Not much though. So next time, I'll tweak that area a bite.

Pant Back Alteration. I also shorten the front pattern.

Both the Dress and pant were lengthen about four inches. I also made my usual crotch alteration.

Dress: instead of the suggested hem method, I did a rolled hem.

Because the jumpsuit fabric had some stretch in it, I sewed slightly larger seam allowances. After, it was finished I felt it could have been sewn at the regular seam allowance of 5/8". I was just testing the stretchability of the fabric.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I will make another maxi dress. And yes, I recommend it to others, but with modifications. You might consider making a muslin of the bodice and midriff, straps attached as well.


Conclusion: I really like the maxi dress. The jumpsuit not so much. It doesn't look as smooth as I would like in the back. That could be because of my sway back.

I think this pattern is worth a try, test the bodice first. Espeically if you are a C cup or larger.

35 comments:

  1. LOVEEEEEEEE your maxi dress!!! The fabric is TDF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great in your dress, pantsuit & pants you wouldn't ever make!
    THanks for sharing your sewing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your maxi dress fabulous!! That fabric color looks nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful dress! You have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are smokin' hot in that dress. I love it. The fabric is stunning and you wear it so well. I love the jumpsuit on you, too. I was reading an article about them last night. I'm not sure they're for me, but on you it works! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you SHOULD love your maxi. It looks wonderful on you! Take it out to a party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Both look great, but in that fabric the dress is really striking. You look really wonderful in both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I totally understand the title of your post. Love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both pieces...You did a great job....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't belive what you have been up to?!? a day or two goes by, by not checking your blog and it's "bursting" with new stuff, you are a dynamo, great clothes, WOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVE it. I think the maxi is the ultimate in style. They were huge in Sydney last summer, but I had reservations as most of the girls wearing them were very young and I wore them in the 70s myself. I think I might just start a new 50 plus trend come spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're very busy!
    Wow, the maxi dress is beautiful. The right for a hot summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fabric choice really makes the Maxi Dress sing! Loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now you're just showing off! lol. You look beautiful and I am "gel-us". lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK! OK! So what! you make beautiful clothes and you and your children look great in them! So what That everytime you post you look wonderful! So what! Everytime I read your post I get more inspired to continue with my sewing lessons to one day be as great as all the ladies in the blogs that I read. I you think I am going to continue reading your blog and loving the clothes and your eye for detail you are SO RIGHT! Excellent Job

    ReplyDelete
  16. You go girl! You fab in that dress. Ok, enough is enough, I'm making myself a maxi this weekend! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, lovely ladies. Much appreciated.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  18. They both look great! The jumpsuit especially is very stylish and flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  19. After seeing your final result I MUST get this pattern! Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look very pretty in it, and the fabric is gorgeous. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW amazing job. Love them both. Great job you did.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous dress, you look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. As always great job! I am so glad I finally finished school so I can get back to my craft. I love watching your sewing adventures. Thanks for posting instructions on the sway back adjustments b/c I have that problem a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really a beautiful dress. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Coucou,
    I don't speak english very well, but j'adore all your "réalisations".
    Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cennetta, all of your latest creations are just TDF!! So professional looking and everything is so flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look lovely. I agree with Adrienne, the fabric is TDF. The jumpsuit is cute also. You did a beautiful job!! I think I might have to pull that pattern out since it's in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love, love, love the maxi dress! Both are great though!

    Over the weekend, I saw one of the other locations of Vogue Fabrics - the Roosevelt one, by Fishman's. I am going to take the train down one Friday afternoon and shop my heart out, then go pick up DH after work as he works nearby on Canal.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic job.!! You look absolutely great.. I LOVE your maxi dress. Your fabric choice is pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin