Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Pants I Thought I Wouldn't Make - M5818


Worn Monday June 29, 2009

These are the pants that I thought I wouldn't make. In May, I made and reviewed the dress and declared that I would make the jacket, but not the pants. Wrong! I needed (wanted) some new pants to wear at the Annual InfoEd meeting so I made these and M5710.

Again, Palmer/Pletsch delivers. The seam allowance enables the sewists to fit as you sew, which is a plus when you are in a hurry or need a quick sewing project.

Pattern Description: MISSES' LINED JACKET, DRESS AND PANTS: Lined jacket A has princess seams, welt pockets, flaps and sleeve with slit; lined dress B has front and back pleats, front and back darts, back zipper, back slit and topstitching detail, length is 1" above mid-knee; pants C have fly front, front, back darts and self-faced yoke, purchased belt.

Pattern Sizing: 4 to 20; I used a size 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? You bet.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked this pattern because it was quick and easy. A nice pair of pants with clean lines. The design included a separate piece for the fly and the contour waist band are always a "like" for me. No dislikes.

Fabric Used: I purchased some spring/summer suiting from JoAnn's in a wheat and medium brown polyester during one of the sales this spring.






Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I did my usual crotch alterations: shorten the length and added more room to the body space of the pattern; swayback adjustment to the contoured waistband; and added about four inches to the length of the pants.
Back Pant Adjustment
Front Pant Adjustment
Swayback Adjustment


The pattern includes one inch seam allowances, but I was able to fit them perfectly with just my normal adjustments. So I sewed all seam at the one inch mark. For the waist I sewed one inch allowance on all seams.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes and yes. This is a wardrobe builder. You can easily add lining to the pant, and you can match them up with another cordinates. I matched them with S4076 and S2977. (Shoes not the best match for this combination. lol)

Conclusion: This is a wardrobe builder that is easy to fit and sew. The pattern has clean lines. You can wear knit tops over them or wear blouses tucked inside them.

Sometime this summer, I will make the jacket.

Parting shot: I wore my "Big" flower dress to church on Sunday.




Happy Sewing!
C

15 comments:

  1. Your pants outfit is very sophisticated looking. It could go anywhere. Your dress is lovel also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great pair of slacks! And that floral dress is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect fitting pants.You outfit is fantastic and you look wonderful.
    The floral fabric is gorgeous. Another perfect dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all incredibly stylish outfits, it's always good to have a well fitting pair of pants (or 2!) in the wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is all about the pants...but...your jacket from the simplicity pattern sent me on a search for it! I have been looking for a jacket just like that to go over a sheath dress for work. So thank you soooo much for featuring it! I wanted it so much that I bought it straight from simplicity.com with only 40% off!!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. way to go Ms. Cosmo! These outfits will take you to church, work, and play effortlessly! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice trousers! Clean, simple, and will take you anywhere! Love the dress, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, fellow fashionistas! Carolyn - I'm glad you like the jacket. It had to grow on me. This year I love it. I think you will enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again. You did a great job. Can I offer one hint. It looks like you may have a slightly higher right hip which may be the cause of the wrinkle pointint to it from the back. Next time, pull the fabric or tissue down over the right hip a bit and that wrinkle will go away. Wow, I just fitted 19 people in our 4-day Pant Workshop in Portland, Or. I had sizes from a 10 to a 32W. Challenging, but they all did great. So after 4 days of fitting and then a day of training teachers, I am into the fit!!! Hope this helps. Keep on sewing, as you have great taste!! Pati Palmer www.palmerpletsch.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love all your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Pati, I'll try that next pair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the outfit, very chic!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pants have wonderful fit. The total outfit is superb. Great jacket and top to go with the pants. Perhaps I should buy the jacket pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sophisticated and chic! You are truly one of my "real" world fashion icons. Jackie-O--take a hike! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is nothing like being able to fit a pair of pants. Yours look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin