Tuesday, May 20, 2008

No Prom Dresses for Me This Year

Over the years, I have made many prom dresses for friends, family, and referred clients. This year I chose to pass up the excitement. Last week I heard a few reports on "Prom Dresses Gone Wrong". When I take on a prom dress project, I try to stress to the young lady that the prom is a princess ball and the style of the dress should be in line with "princess" and should be flattering for "their" body type and structure. Most of the time the talk hits home, but there have been an occasion or two where it didn't.

In celebration of prom dressmaking, here are a few dresses for which I sewed and was very pleased with the results. So many I didn't take pictures of due to exhaustion or relief that everything turned out well.

I made this dress (garter) for my baby sister. Currie Prom 1992. This dress worked me, but it turned out beautifully. I was careful to follow the instructions given. There were a lot of new techniques involved with making this dress. The detachable skirt required netting between the lining and the skirt. It was completely concealed. I think the bodice was one of my first attempts at underlining. I took me about 30 hours to make this dress.





Me Attaching skirt to dress. I put hooks and eyes on each side of the dress to attach the skirt. My DD blotted out the background of this picture. The room was a hot mess. lol





I used the top of one pattern and the bottom of the other to get the desired style for the next prom dress. Fitting this dress was a challenge because the pattern style and sizing was slightly different so I had to blend the pieces together. Ms. LCD wanted the dress to "sparkle" a little. So I added rhinestones across the waist and hip area. These were glued on one by one.






Ms DH wanted a simple classic dress. This one fit the bill. I also made a shawl and purse (not shown).






Finally, my DD..., I made the dress, jacket, and garter. Of course I have more photos of DD's prom dress. Too many to post though.









Happy Sewing!
C

19 comments:

  1. It is so nice to see such beautiful dresses.Recently I've seen a lot of skanky,poorly made dresses during prom season.You are clearly classy and your integrity shows in these fabulous dress.Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now those are some beautiful dresses!Most of these girls want to wear nothing but a string to the prom.All that work you did payed off they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that "prom" equates to "princess". My biggest disappointment in the 70's is "prom" equated to dull, boring rough textured polyester without any "pouf". I hated my Senior Prom dress. Back then the only home made dresses I'd seen looked like nighgowns and were babyish. I didn't want any part of that scene either so I settled for my version of ugly.

    The first dress pattern I remember from the 80's. In fact I scoured Ebay for that pattern forever. I now have it in 2 sizes in my hot little hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn, I forgot to add that the dresses you posted are lovely and the girls look beautiful and princessy without being over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dresses are beautiful!! I swore off prom sewing several years ago! God bless the people who still sew for this season! I get at least one request each year and I have to turn them down. The high school where my DD teaches now have a dress code and the assistant principals are there at the door to turn the girls away as the arrive at prom if they are dressed too revealing. Thank God! It is about time!! I don't remember hearing about the restrictions even last year! But you are so right about prom being a 'princess' time for these girls and they should dress accordingly. Last year when my niece went, both her and her friends looked like princesses in their beautiful gowns! I did have to add something to the back her dress which had been purchased! But that has been the extent of my prom sewing involvment! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cennetta .- you sew clothes to dream about ..... I am sure that fans wherever they are. greetings. Paco

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Cennetta! You made all those young ladies into princessess! Classy all the way and not sleazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are beautiful dresses! They look like princesses - as they should for their special occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those young women will have those photos and memories all of their lives, and your beautiful work helped create those great times for them. Beautiful dresses. Thanks for showing them here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The prom dresses are gorgeous! They take me back to an era when I would sew my own formal dresses for college banquets, although the patterns now seem dressier and more "Hollywood". I'm figuring I better get back into formal dress mode because DD#2 has already told me I'm making her prom dress. That's about 2 1/2 years advance notice since she's in 8th grade :) . I don't have to worry about DD#1, she's a RTW snob LOL. Until she sees the prices, then I'm sure I'll become her best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this post. There are so many internet links and photos of dresses gone wrong. I thought it would be good to post dresses just right.

    Happy Sewing!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cenneta, these dresses are gorgeous. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous Creations... and agree with you whole heartedly that a prom dress is synomous with princess. Again fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to give you credit...I have made three prom dresses in my life and WILL NOT sew for anyone other than my DDs! Too much drama! But you have managed to make several amazing dresses that enhanced each young ladies beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are good! Wow, these are beautiful, custom-fit, flattering gowns on some lovely young women.
    They (and their families) will enjoy your work for years to come, every time they see the pictures.
    Wow.
    And good for you to advise them on what is flattering. Many girls only know what they see in magazines and just don't know enough yet to style themselves best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely gallery of dresses Cennetta. I see a whole lot of challenging-to-sew duchesse satin there too.
    I applaud you for refusing to stoop to the trashy level that so many prom dresses have come to.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely....Lovely....dresses and young ladies. Congratulations on such beautiful work! (And I see some of the young men were wearing accessories to match.....nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My hats off to you. Great dresses!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin