Over the years, I have made many prom dresses for friends, family, and referred clients. This year I chose to pass up the excitement. Last week I heard a few reports on "Prom Dresses Gone Wrong". When I take on a prom dress project, I try to stress to the young lady that the prom is a princess ball and the style of the dress should be in line with "princess" and should be flattering for "their" body type and structure. Most of the time the talk hits home, but there have been an occasion or two where it didn't.
In celebration of prom dressmaking, here are a few dresses for which I sewed and was very pleased with the results. So many I didn't take pictures of due to exhaustion or relief that everything turned out well.
I made this dress (garter) for my baby sister. Currie Prom 1992. This dress worked me, but it turned out beautifully. I was careful to follow the instructions given. There were a lot of new techniques involved with making this dress. The detachable skirt required netting between the lining and the skirt. It was completely concealed. I think the bodice was one of my first attempts at underlining. I took me about 30 hours to make this dress.
Me Attaching skirt to dress. I put hooks and eyes on each side of the dress to attach the skirt. My DD blotted out the background of this picture. The room was a hot mess. lol
I used the top of one pattern and the bottom of the other to get the desired style for the next prom dress. Fitting this dress was a challenge because the pattern style and sizing was slightly different so I had to blend the pieces together. Ms. LCD wanted the dress to "sparkle" a little. So I added rhinestones across the waist and hip area. These were glued on one by one.
Ms DH wanted a simple classic dress. This one fit the bill. I also made a shawl and purse (not shown).
Finally, my DD..., I made the dress, jacket, and garter. Of course I have more photos of DD's prom dress. Too many to post though.