Monday, January 12, 2009

First Project of the Year! - McCall 5527


This is one of two jackets that I cut out before the holidays. I was able to finish both of them on Saturday afternoon. I wore this one to church on Sunday with a skirt I made (2 years old) from another McCall's pattern. Here's my review.

Pattern Description: Semi-fitted, lined jacket has front and back darts, single button closure and sleeve and collar variations.

Pattern Sizing: Sizes 6 - 20. I made a 14 with modifications.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Pretty much. The jacket on the model appears to be a couple inches longer than my version. Could be that she is petite.

Were the instructions easy to follow?Yes. Nothing difficult about them. I competely constructed the collar/lapel before attaching it to the shell. Then I attached the lining/facing. This is the process that I usually follow when making jackets/coats for a similar style.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the design of the this jacket. The wide collar and lapel are what sold me. No dislikes.

Fabric Used: Wool Blend (loose basket weave pattern)purchased from JoAnn's Fabrics about two years ago.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I made several alterations:

FBA - A picture is worth a thousand words. So here are the photos of the FBA.


Front Lining and Front Facing


Jacket Front


Checking the modifications of the three front pattern pieces.


Making the FBA on this type a one piece front pattern was alittle tricky for me. I added bust darts instead of trying to rotate the add length at the side seam to the verticle dart below the bust line.




Broad Shoulder and Sway Back Adjustments

The drawing shows the collar resting about an inch beyond the top of the shoulder seam. I didn't think to increase the width of the lapel and collar to maintain the design.




On the Hanger

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I plan to, but I have soooo many jacket patterns that I want to try. So not now; maybe later.

Conclusion: Cute little jacket that was easy to make and can be worn over dresses or other coordinating separates.

20 comments:

  1. Cenneta,
    This is one classy jacket. It looks SO good on you too!
    Thanks for the pictures of you adjustments. I have this pattern, and I think I can do this!
    Tyna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb! And great alteration pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous first project! You look really great in this outfit, and I love your boots. FBA is not for me (I wish) but your photos are super helpful for the lucky ones who need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cenneta,

    The jacket looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great jacket! Your fit is wonderful. That FBA looks incredibly complicated. I'm glad you pulled it off with such great results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I have been loving jackets this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Über fabulous! I think the bust dart was the right thing to do. It looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks awesome! Great fit and fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your jacket, nice fabric. As usual it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This a awesome! Excellent pics of your alterations. It makes understanding the process easier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I really love this fabric! You'll get so much wear out of this one; it can go with so many things and will look as good with jeans as it will styled in a more corporate way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All i have to say is wow. You made that! I'm so not handy with the sewing needle. Sewing on a button is challenge. Found you by way of mybloglog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not just cute, it looks stunning on you! I also fancy wide collars and the fabric you used is gorgeous! This is a winner, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute little jacket ! Thanks so much for the pattern pictures too. I always appreciate alteration pics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The look and fit of the jacket is awesome. You do a great job when it comes to posting pictures of how the pattern was adjusted.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful jacket. It makes a stunning outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you include great pattern alteration photos in your post.They are so helpful.Thanks
    This jacket is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just learned of your blog - LOVELY jacket! I wish I could sew clothes better. Have a jumper that I love - when I added pockets, they ended up near my knees!

    Best, Kyra
    www.BlackThreads.blogspot.com
    African American Quilting & Fabrics blog

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin