Monday, January 19, 2009

Two UFO's Done! - Simplicity 3690 for DD



These UFO's are from the Urban College Girl Collection 2007. After I finished DD's coat I started working on dresses for me. Good thing she hasn't expanded in the last year. lol

Pattern Description: Misses' Top, vest in two lengths and pants or shorts. I made views A and D.



Pattern Sizing: 4 - 20. I made size 8 for DD.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. I added a couple of pockets: one the right back and one left front and of the pants. Other than that it looked like the photo and drawing.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. I looked over them and added under stitches to the construction of the vest.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Like: DD and I liked the style. And I like that the coordinates were simple pieces that I could sew up pretty fast.

Dislike: What appeared to be a simple pattern for the vest, turned out to be a little wonky. This was a surprise given my DD is very easy to sew for when it comes to alterations.

I read a few reviews after making it to see if anyone else had issues with the vest. Ann (Gorgeous Things) had some problems with the neckline and bust area; and she recommended that you make a muslin, which I didn't. It's not bad, but I noticed a little gaping at the neckline (back) and a little winkle at the bust line. I needed to do a sway back alteration.


Fabric Used: Wool blend from the Textile Discount Warehouse.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:

Vest: I didn't make any fitting alterations, but I did under stitch the vest around the neckline, front, and bottom were the lining attaches to the vest.

Pants: No fitting alterations. I added a coin pocket and a welt pocket.

Coin pocket was added to the seam on the left front were the yoke is sewn to the waistline of the pant. To create a coin pocket, I cut one lining and one fashion fabric pocket 4X4 square.

The lining is placed on the desired location for the pocket on the right side of the pants. It is attached at the seam allowance starting at the 3/4 inch point. Sewing from the edge, pivot, and then along the upper stitching line ending at 3 1/4 point, pivot and stitch to the top of the seam allowance. On an angle the pant and the lining are slash to the corner of the stitched seam.



Turn the lining to the inside and press.



View from the wrong side.




Place the pocket evenly over the lining. Stitch 1/2 half seam allowance along the two vertical sides and the lower width. Sewn pocket.




Turn to the right side baste the pocket to the upper edge of the pants.Then attach the yoke to the waist of the pant.



Finished coin pocket.




I followed Debbie Cook's method of making double welt pockets.







Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, but I probably won't sew the vest again. DD wants a few more pants made from this pattern. Of course with pockets. Yes, I would recommend it to others. But make sure you make a muslin for the vest before cutting into your fashion fabric.

Conclusion: This is a fairly decent pattern with the expectation of the "wonkiness" in the vest. DD really likes the pants. She says that they fit perfectly.

12 comments:

  1. Wow!!! the outfit is justreal NICE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great on your DD! I really like the idea of the coin pocket. I liked the pants, but I retired the pattern because of the vest - I have other pant patterns that work just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fantastic outfit!! Your welt pockets look so professional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both came out great! Too bad the vest started out wonky. I don't plam DD for wanting more pants in that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter looks great and Thanks for the heads up on the vest. I've had the pattern for sometime intending to make it for my dd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one gorgeous double welt pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very interesting this pocket in the waist line. the set was wonderful, really. congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pants look great! What a great idea and detailed instructions for the coin pocket too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter looks wonderful in this outfit. Beautiful fit. Very smart idea for the coin pocket,I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! The outfit and your daughter are beautiful.You really mastered that welt pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very Nice!!! Love the coin pocket!
    Great detail.
    I hope the pair I'm making look as good as the ones you made for your DD!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin