Friday, January 30, 2009

The Disappearing UFO's

































For the past two weekends I have been on a mission. That mission is to reduce the number of UFO's that have accumulated over the years. One of the things that I'm trying hard to do is, not to start too many new projects around the same time. If the period between getting back to a project is too long, that project gets pushed to the side while another takes its place.

After I finished DD vest and pants, I decided to finish two more UFO's. The first was a skirt from Simplicity 7015. It doesn't work for me contrary to other opinions. I'm too narrow in the hips to wear it well. The second is the long version of the jacket McCall 4665. This one is a keeper. It can be belted or free flowing. The fabric is a crepe knit from Hancock. This has been in the bin for at least two and a half years. Now it's finished and I can wear it with jeans or brown/black slacks/skirts.

Here are my reviews:
S4017

Pattern Description: Misses One Piece Wrap Skirt In Two Lengths

Pattern Sizing: sizing XS to XL. I made a medium.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I only glance at them. This is a pretty easy skirt to make. This view was only one pattern piece.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I purchased this pattern with the view that I made in mind. But once I was done, I didn't like it. It makes me look even narrower in the hips than I actually am. Today I told one of my girlfriends that I would gift her the skirt. She more curvaceous than I.

Fabric Used: Wool.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I added a few more inches to the bottom.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Not this view. It doesn't work for me. But I would recommend it to others.


Arrested by The Fashion Police

Conclusion: This is a quick and easy pattern that would be great for beginners.

M4665 (OOP)

Pattern Description: Unlined jacket, wrap top, pants and skirt with elastic waist.

Pattern Sizing: XS - XL. I made a medium adding 1/2 inch to the side seams.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow? No problems there.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like that it was easy and the face framing collar. No dislikes.

Fabric Used: Wool crepe (stable knit) from Hancock *update*.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I adding about 1/2 inch to the side seams, a few inches to the bottom of the front and back, and 2 inches to the length of the sleeves.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Probably not. One is enough for now.

Conclusion: This is an easy pattern that I would recommend to beginners if you have it in your collection.

14 comments:

  1. I love plaids too, but have the same lower problem as you do. I was told that if you cut them on a slant so they don't give you eye a straight line to look at your narrow hip area won't look narrow at all. Your outfit looks just fine to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like both! In fact, I think the skirt lends itself to a long, lean line with a slanted diagonal pattern that is such a slimming silhouette (not like you need any help in that area, of course). I love the entire outfit--emphasizes your slim, trim figure and highlights a great bustline with the close-fitting top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the skirt shape, but I'm shaped like you (not as tall though) and the plaid would do the same thing to me. I bet it would look smashing in a different fabric (a small houndstooth perhaps?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the skirt and coat! I must be missing what you don't like about the skirt. I like the pattern style but something a short person like myself cannot pull off. Love the colors of both garments. But the wearer always has final say on what they like or don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the jacket. You're tall and it suits you well.

    As for your previous post about the thin economy, prayer. I'll pray for you and you pray for you. :)It's frightening how far reaching the strains of this recession are reaching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I can see what you mean about the plaid skirt. I love plaid skirts, but I'm not sure that one would be for me, either. I'm close to a foot shorter than you and I'd look like I was swaddled in a blanket if I tried that style. The red coat, though, that looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see what you mean about the skirt, but it is so pretty, I like I the long jacket. I have the opposite problems; wide hips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been a bit nervous trying out plaids too. I think yours looks great despite your reservations! I'm with Linda - I don't see it at all on you! You look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I gave the skirt to my girlfriend this morning. Her response, "Oh, love it." But I did tell her about the "tweaking method" suggested by Ann Smith (PR member). She going to try it on and let me know if it works for her as is.

    Thanks everyone for your generous comments. Always appreciated.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cennetta .- The skirt is divine, but I agree with you that perhaps it is not his style. Maybe it was not too long ?..... I have a pattern Donna Karan skirt with a similar but shorter. Furthermore, this pattern has a rubber in the waistband and adjustments under the front piece. I made it years ago and was very good. As the pattern is Simplicity ? ...

    thanks for listening. greetings and see you soon.

    Paco

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cennetta, I like the skirt too, maybe changing the length will make it look as you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congradulations on finishing your UFO's! I love the jacket.The skirt is beautiful but I see what you mean.I'm sure you friend was very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! The jacket looks terrific and I also like the skirt... Sorry to hear that it doesn't work well for you

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love the skirt - I think it looks great on you. But then again, too narrow of hips would never be my situation!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin