Monday, October 13, 2008

BWOF May 2008 - 108A The Tulip Skirt



Pattern Description: A tulip skirt, in the true sense of the word. Not only does the silhouette imitate the shape of this flower but the front drapings over the hips and waist also look like the flower petals. BWOF 108A Skirt May 2008

Pattern Sizing: Burda sizes 36 - 42.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Pretty much. The version in the photo had a little more draping around the hip area. But overall it looked like the photo/drawing.

Were the instructions easy to follow? As stated by many PR reviewer, the burda instructions are not the best. I had a little trouble following the instructions for pleating the skirt. So I studied the pattern and looked at the photo to help guide me through forming the tulip shaping. The rest was fairly simple and standard for assembling a straight skirt with a contour waistband.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I totally love the shaping around the hip area. There is nothing I dislike other than the instructions.

Fabric Used: I purchased this polyester fabric at Vogue Fabrics, remnant room, for the unbelieveable price of $5.23. Just enough to make a skirt.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I only made a few alterations:

- Added 2" to the length.
- Lined the Skirt -- the fabric has a lot of drape to it; the lining adds some body and besides I prefer lined skirts. For the front lining I used the back skirt pattern. The front pattern would add too much fabric across the abdomen. And I certainly don't need that. ;-) There was only one slight mishap with it. I cut it just a little too short.





Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Probably not. The skirt is unique enough that I only want one in my wardrobe. And besides I have hundreds of other skirt patterns to try. But I would recommend it to others. This style of skirt is a fashion trend. I've seen several version of tulip skirts and dresses this year. In particular, the Cadena magazine has at least four outfits with the tulip/floral element.



Conclusion: I really like this pattern and had planned to make this skirt the moment that a saw it in the BWOF.

Designer Quote: "The difference between day and evening clothes is outdated." -Yves Saint Laurent

13 comments:

  1. NICE!!!! The skirt is very pretty...but I have to admit that I really LOVE your blouse...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute skirt, it looks fantastic with your blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This skirt is a winner! It caught my eye from the moment I saw it! FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work and a stunning look for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic outfit!! You look gorgeous (as always!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so pretty! i love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great skirt! I wish I had this issue, :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely skirt! So fresh and trendy, yet perfect for the office too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome skirt goes great with that blouse!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin