Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Love My Pattern Collection

Like many sewists, my pattern collection is over the top. I enjoy collecting, studying, and sewing from them. With each sale (Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's and Hancock's) there is another opportunity to pick something interesting. In the past fifteen years my pattern collection has grown exponentially. Partly due to my approach to buying patterns. Previously I brought a pattern because I was planning to making an outfit for an occasion or for someone else's occasion (commissioned sewing). But now I buy for other reasons:

Teaching fit/construction techniques - I'm forever in "fitting school", always looking for ways to improve the fit of my garments as well as fitting my occasional client. This is so important to have each section of the garment portionally balanced. It can be well put together; but if it is ill-fitted, the garment can be uncomfortable to wear. I'm on a continuous quest for the ultimate "polished look". So any pattern that has some tips of the RTW polishing is a plus.

Styles of garments - At one point, my goal was to buy a pattern of every possible style of for each garment type. I know that sounds crazy, but..., Recently, some pattern companies have made it easy to have several style options (dress) within one pattern. This is a welcome change and may or may not reduce the number that I buy. lol

And finally,

Client requests - I sew for a select group of people, who have special requests. Some requests may require that I buy two patterns that I combine to create one garment. My confidence level is not high enough to try drafting my own pattern. So if I can create their design by using two patterns with some minor tweeking of the style, I'm good.

Soooo.., That's it on why have hundreds of patterns. Why do you collect them?


Here are a few parting shots. I'm copying one of Summerset's blog features. Lindsay T posted an article on "Would you Ever Make a Wedding Gown? I made two: mine and a member of my church.



20 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great wedding dress...a lot more work than mine was that's for sure! :)

    As for the pattern collecting...I think I have a fever...no seriously...I am ill cause I just keep buying them! Do I need all of them...heck no! *LOL*

    And tonight I finally decided enough! I need to install a pattern moratorium...no more purchases until Jan 2009. I mean really do I need another one? And working in the financial industry maybe I need to be saving those pennies 'cause you just never know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous dress! I love looking at wedding pictures so thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful wedding dress. I am just a pattern addict! But just recently I've become interested in combining patterns to get the garment features that I have in my mind. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like Christina—I love looking at wedding dresses and photos. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Mrs. Cen, confidence is the blocker? You cant allow yourself to be stopped by such an obvious attacker. Conquer and be victorious. I believe in you.

    The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life- of whom shall I be afraid? PS 27:1

    Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. She who dies with the most patterns wins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning dress! Recently I have purchased a number of 80's Vogue patterns from op shops for a mere 20c each. They styles are exactly the same as some curent Vogue patterns, which retail for around $25 - $30 here in Australia. It's worth having a large pattern collection, even if you think it's something you'll never use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful wedding dress!!

    I collect because I'm an addict. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look how beautiful you are! And the dress is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow your dress looks similar to my weeding dress.I still have the pattern that I used to make the gown. About patterns, i owned over 200+.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can never have too many patterns, especially with clients who have something particular in mind!

    Your wedding dress is beautiful and you both are a lovely couple. Thank you for sharing, I just love wedding dresses and evening gowns!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a collector of books and patterns I guess. I just started getting into sewing clothes & I can't stop purchasing. Actually Joanne's is having a sale today on McCall's patterns for 99 cents. 10 purchase max, so I'm planning on getting 10 today, 10 tomorrow, & having my roommate get the remainding amount after she purchases her few. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a beautiful wedding dress, and you look beautiful in it. :):):)

    Patterns....what can I say? I buy them everytime the front of the envelope has something that calls out to me. It's like an invisible force, lol. But I've made some strong efforts to stop, because I already have too many. I'm convincing myself to work with what I have. But it's hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look gorgeous and admire all that make their wedding gowns.

    I started garment sewing a little over a year ago and my pattern stash is getting ridiculous and even more ridiculous, b/c I haven't sewn in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Très jolies photos! tous mes voeux de bonheur, bises de france

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely dress. Allot of work but well worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a goreous wedding dress!

    I collect patters/pattern magazines for their originality, new challenges and features. Lately I think I'm becoming more addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that is wonderful! You sound like the type of person who could become a professional seamstress, sewist taking custom orders. Ever thought about it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love weeding dresses and have often thought of going to Atlanta to take some Bridal Couture classes...
    You did amazing on this dress!!!!
    You are an awesome seamtress!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I completely understand about forever being in fitting school. We go to the same school LOL. I don't think I'll every graduate though!

    Anyway, you look so lovely in your wedding photo (nothing new about that ;) ) and you are a saint to make a wedding dress for someone else.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin