Monday, October 13, 2008

The Cutest Little Top - Butterick 4985

Butterick 4985




Let me start off by saying, "This is a great pattern. It has been reviewed on PR at least fifteen times." And I will definitely make this again. The only reason I'm reviewing it is my alterations may assist someone with making their own version of this top. It's a winner. Did I just give the conclusion? Oh well. Here goes.

Pattern Description: Tops A, B, C, D have gathered upper front, lower section with princess seams, sleeve and collar variation. A: stand-up collar and tie, two-piece sleeve. B: gathered sleeve with band and collar with collar band. C, D: gathered sleeve with band and stand-up collar. D: purchased trim.

Pattern Sizing: Sizes 6 to 20. I made size 14 with my usual alterations.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Easy as 1, 2, 3.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? What's not to like about it. It's feminine, stylish, and flattering. Not to mention, very versatile. Again, no dislike.

Fabric Used: Okay the remnant room at Vogue Fabrics is the first place I go when I shop there. You'd be surprised at the great deals you will find here. everything from silk, to wool, to polyester. This is a polyester silky print fabric that I purchased for under $10.00.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I made a few: They are:

- FBA. Here's the original paper pattern over the redraft.



Now the two side by side.



- Broad Shoulder/Prominent Shoulder Blades



- Sway Back -- for the sway back adjustment, I added tucks at the lower back of the bodice and increased the seam allowance of the adjoining lower back sections.






- The pattern called for four 5/8" buttons. I used 1/2" buttons from my stash and instead of four I sewed six spaced 1 1/2" apart.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Sure will. I plan to add long sleeves to the next version.

Conclusion: It's at the top! ;-)

17 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful blouse, very feminine. Love the whole look of this outfit; the colors/textures are very becoming as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that blouse!!! I have that same pattern and really need to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding! The top is well fitted, stylish, the fabric is TDF... What else could we ask more? Fife stars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry for the typo, I meant "five", lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great as usual...I may want to look into that pattern now :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty blouse! The fit is awesome especially the SBA. Do you tissue fit yourself to see if you will need to do your common adjustments which th SBA, shoulder, and FBA?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The top became very beautiful and a great cloth. I like it very much.
    Sorry of my english and many greetings from Switzerland, Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole outfit is just lovely! I read the skirt post first, and got to wondering about the blouse. The fabric subtle and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlene - Sometimes I do a tissue fit when the design is complicated. But I did not do one for this skirt or blouse. The adjustments that I made are my usual alterations. I always make my side seams 1 inch. The rest of it is tweaked as a go. When each major construction is complete I try it on. In this case, after the front and back upper bodice was joined and gathers made; then after basing the lower back and front to the upper back and front; the third time was after putting the sleeves in. So it goes on like this until I'm done and satisfied. ;-)

    But when I sew for someone else, I make a muslin. I hope this helps.

    Thanks,
    Cennetta

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this pattern and I've never made it. Yours has given me inspiration. I've got a nice piece of fabric that would look great. Funny how I could never get inspired by this pattern before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your top came out real nice great job. Love the fabric.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the blouse and especially the fabric. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the entire outfit.Those fabrics are perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The whole outfit is beautiful. The fit is perfect.I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This blouse is sooooo flattering! Your fabric choice was right on too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cennetta, First thankyou for the comment on my blog aboutmy coats. We are so lucky to sew our own because there aren't that many appealing styles in retail. Anothr big thank you for this pattern review,. The FBA is especially useful to me as I have to make one on all my patterns. My shoulders are the opposite to yours though . Mine are narrow and sloping.I'm going to buy this pattern tomorrow.
    Happy sewing . Diana

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin