Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Butterick 4978 - View B & McCall's M5093 View E


Dress talk

I purchased this pattern last year not knowing when I would make it, but knew I'd make it some day.

It's still relatively cool in Chicago. Average temperature is 60 degrees. And when it gets hot, every building will be freezing. I made McCall's 5093 to wear with it.



Forgive the facial expression. This was the best photo of all taken with the jacket and dress.


Pattern Description: MISSES’ DRESS: Semi-fitted, flared, lined dress, below mid-knee or above ankle has bodice with neck binding, front opening slit and slightly cut-a-way armholes, midriff, bias skirt and back zipper. B: tie ends.

Pattern Sizing: 8-22. I made size 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? The dress did look like the pattern illustration.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. No problems. The instructions (4, 12 & 31) for finishing the darts, seams of the bodice and skirt lining I didn’t particularly care for. I followed them for the darts, but I decided not to for the side seams. I overlocked the seam allowances instead of stitching two seams and trimming the excess.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Like: the feminine style of this dress. No dislikes.

Fabric Used: polyester georgette from Vogue Fabrics. I purchased the floral last year at the end of the season sale for $1.99/yd. White georgette was used for the lining and underlining.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Alterations: I altered the four bodice pieces: the FBA and broad shoulders. I added a few inches to the length of the skirt.



Design Changes: These are design misfortunes. I don't know how I did it, but I had two accidents while making this dress. First, mistook the stitching line at the center front opening for the cutting line. So the opening is off by 1/8 inch. Then while trimming the skirt and lining to an even length I accidentally cut too much off the lining. The dress is wearable, but these mistakes almost made me give up on the finishing the project. Now "real" design changes: I eliminated the belt loops on the side of the midriff. I didn't think they would add any value. There is one thing I notice, though, the belt doesn't stay in place. Looking at the model, her belt is tightly tied around the waist. Second, this fabric is very sheer so I decided to underline the bodice to eliminate the "see-through" affect.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Probably not. I have hundreds of dresses to try.


Conclusion: Pretty feminine dress that would be a nice addition to most wardrobes. It's not difficult to sew and I would recommend it to others.

Jacket talk - Another view



Another forgive..., the unhappy smile. This was a difficult photoshoot.


Pattern Description: JUNIORS’ LINED JACKETS: Fitted, lined jacket, above waist has princess seams, shoulder pads, with or without collar, and sleeve and length variations; jackets B, D, E have purchased trim.

Pattern Sizing: 15/16 which is equivalent to size Misses 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, as for as the style lines.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were easy to follow, but I chose to follow a slightly different method. Instead of leaving an opening at the bottom of the jacket, I partially sewed the back center seam (3" at the top and 2" at the bottom). Attached the jacket (circumstance) completely to the lining. Pressed seam allowance toward the lining and understitched. Next I pulled the sleeves through the opening and sewed the lining at the lower edge of the sleeve. Pulled them back to the right side; pressed. Closed the CB seam by stitching seam allowance together on the right side.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Nothing to dislike. Simple jacket. Wardrobe builder.

Fabric Used: Left over medium weight linen (about 1 yard). I purchased it at Vogue Fabrics. I pre-washed and dried it. Lining: polyester purchased at JoAnn's Fabrics. I buy white and black lining in bulk when it's on sale. So it's always on hand.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: FBA and broad shoulder adjustment. At the bottom edge (back) I tapered the seam allowances to 12/13 to eliminate the gapping at the bottom back. Design changes: I didn't add the trim. I wanted to be able to wear this jacket with other coordinates.




Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Probably. Yes.

Conclusion: This is a nice wardrobe builder. The jacket can be worn with various outfits. In the summer I always wear or carry a jacket. Every commercial, public, private building has the air conditioning on "north pole" setting and I can't stand it.

3 comments:

  1. The dress is beautiful and very femine, just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love that yellow dress! It is a great fabric and looks beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I like this dress/jacket combo sooooo much! The fabric really looks like spring and the outfit looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin