Sunday, July 27, 2008

M5378 for My DD





My DD has only asked for two dresses this summer. Surprise! Surprise! She purchased the linen for the McCall's dress. Next I'm working on having her cut the paper pattern. lol


Here's the first in review:

Pattern Description: MISSES’/MISS PETITE DRESSES IN TWO LENGTHS, BELT AND SASH: Dresses A, B, C have close-fitting bodice, front and back darts, self-faced yoke, collar, skirt and sleeve variations; dress A has gathered sleeve with pleats, sleeve band and self belt; dress B has long sleeve and contrast sash; dresses A, B are A-line and below mid-knee length; dress C is slightly flared, above ankle length with purchased belt.

Pattern Sizing: Size 6 to 22. I made a size 10 with modifications.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow?The instructions were reasonable. A beginner could easily follow them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? My DD picked this pattern last Spring. Shirt dresses are in this season. DD liked the puff sleeves and the skirt waistline of this dress.

Fabric Used:navy linen.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I did not make a muslin for this dress. I thought I could get it right without going through that process. I normally have to make a broad shoulder and a sway back alterations. So before cutting into the fashion fabric, I paper pattern fit the bodice of the dress.



- Need add to about a 1/4 inch to the CF.








- Back and side views looked pretty good, but I added 1/4" to the shoulder length for good measure.

- I increased the depth of the front waist dart by an 1/8" for a better fit.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? DD would like another dress with long sleeves for the fall. Yes I would recommend it to others.

Conclusion: This is a nice shirt dress with sleeve variations that would be a great address to any wardrobe.

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I really like this pattern as well. I used it for a show I was costuming where I needed two '50's style diner waitress dresses for two very differently sized women and they looked really good. They worked up quickly too!
    So glad I found your blog-- you do lovely work. I look forward to visiting again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great basic dress! I am sure she will really enjoy it since your DD picked her own fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! And I love seeing your pattern alterations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice dress, and the red belt really sets it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks great in her new dress!! She's lucky to have her talented mom around!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin