Monday, April 26, 2010

Springing It Up With Butterick 5455


We are four months into the new year and I still haven't tried any new tailoring techniques. Oh well..., At least this cute dress does have some piping to show off the design lines.

Here's my review:

Pattern Description: Misses' Dresses semi-fitted, straight dresses A, B, midknee length, have lined bodice, pleated front neckline, midriff front, side slant pockets, back zipper and hemline vent A; self fabric piping trim.

Pattern Sizing: Sizes 8 to 20. I used size 14 with modifications. View A.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Easy breezy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the pleated neckline, piping, and shape of the pockets. No dislikes.

Fabric Used: I think the fabric roll tag said some type of silk. The lining is bemberg. Both purchased at Fishman's Fabrics in February this year. Great fabric to work with. I wasn't concerned with matching of the "starburst". Just made sure the center of a burst didn't fall on a particular body part. ;-)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made a few alterations/design changes:

-Added a inch or two to the hemline
-Instead of making piping from the fashion fabric, I bought white piping to add a little contrast since I was making a matching white jacket.
-Made a FBA

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Probably not for myself. But I do recommend it to others.

Conclusion: This is a great little spring/summer dress to add to your wardrobe. And it's easy to sew.

30 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The fabric is very nice for this dress and the fit is perfect, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love this dress, its gorgeous! Pockets on a dress are great! You did a fabulous job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that is a pretty dress! perfect for spring!

    be sure to link all your recycled/revamped/refashioned projects here:
    http://avidaccents.blogspot.com/2010/04/little-inspiration-link-party-time.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look hot! You and the dress both look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...what a lovely dress, I love the fabric and the design details are really lovely...Great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! Love the print - so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress!! I love the contrasting piping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely. The white piping makes it more springy, if that makes any sense! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful and you look amazing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. You look very Mrs Obama in this dress. The workmanship is fantantic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, the piping really stands out, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great dress - it's very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful dress! love the fabric and the piping you did look great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty! Love the piping detail and the fit looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dress is very flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dress is supper-flattering. I always knew you were thin, but, woah, you look good in this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look amazing. Everything you sew is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look amazing. Everything you sew is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girlllll, you are rocking that dress. It's beautiful and fits like a glove. The fabric is fantastic. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! the dress fits like a glove. The fabric is spectacular

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous! That sleek style really suits you. I love how the piping accentuates the style lines and complements that wonderful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous! Your piping really brings it to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are such a pretty lady. All of your garments look amazing on you, and this is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely dress and like the piping detail.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!! That is beautiful and you are stunning, as you usually are!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous outfit.. I love the piping details.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous dress. Your sewing is always impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so happy to see this dress sewn up and with a positive review. I have some stretch cotton/silk fabric that I wanted to use for this pattern and after seeing your version, I'm convinced it's the way to go. What a beautiful dress - you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful, I love how the piping makes it look so spring-like and fresh!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin