Monday, February 27, 2012

This and That

I didn't want another day to go by without letting everyone know how much I appreciate all of your daily visits to my blog. For those of you who continue to comment, I'm especially grateful to you. Your comments make me smile, laugh, and sometimes cause me to think about how I can improve on my sewing ability.

The past few weeks many of you sent notes and comments congratulating on winning the Palmer/Pletsch "Win a Workshop Contest". Honestly, I didn't think I'd win first prize. There are so many great sewists/designers out there. So you could imagine how thrilled I was when I got the news.

My DD has seriously taken up sewing. She made her first complex skirt, McCalls 6402. It was a big challenge for her, but I was at her side helping every step of the way. Fitting is not a big issue for her. She is a little curvy with almost no fat. We only made an adjustment to the front center panel of the skirt. We removed some of the length from the top of the panel because her stomach is so flat. The biggest challenge for her was piecing together the various sections of the skirt. That's were I came in, teaching her how to preserve the shape of the skirt while making sure to sections intersect as designed. She plans to make this skirt again. It's perfect for a color blocking.




The Haute Couture Fashion show is fast approaching and I haven't completing all that I want modeled in the show. With only a few weeks left before the final garment review, I need to finish the top and pants for the striped jacket. And I want to include at least one more dress and something for the travel segment. I need to get busy.

So what's keeping me from sewing and blogging? School and work. My studies for class are starting to get intense. So it's taken up a lot of time that would be spent sewing. Work is picking up as well. We are in the process of selecting a new application for Research Administration. Also, we have some new initiatives at UI that involve training and participation. All great things, but they are pulling me away from sewing and crafting.

American Sewing Guild - The program for January 2012 was all about silk. We learned about various weights and textures as well as how to treat and sew it. There were a few sites shared. More on silk later. I'll probably incorporate some information as I sew more silk garments.

What I'm working on now. On Tuesday, I finish a dress made using M6433 (bodice) and V8555 (skirt). I wanted to do another hand-picked zipper. This dress was perfect for that. It's dark navy or midnight blue. So I thought a beaned zipper would spruce it up a bit. This dress was inspired by a Cadena dress in the fall 2011 issue. Saturday I made a matching belt using a pattern from "Making Vintage Accessories".


Upcoming client projects: Three clients on the horizon: 2 prom dresses - my niece and cousin. 1 evening dress for Ms. Paulette. Last week she purchased a beautiful matalasse fabric for it. My niece selected a bright yellow dutchess satin for her Vogue gown. My cousin is still undecided. All are great projects. I'm glad they chose me to make their dresses.

So that's all for now. More later this week. Have a fantastic Monday.
C

19 comments:

  1. You have won!! congratulations.
    Very nice skirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's exciting that your DD wants to sew! Her skirt looks fabulous. Now there will be two very stylish women in your household.

    And, congratulations on winning the Palmer/Pletsch contest. Your jacket was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your DD for an amazing first complex project! It looks great!! Did she use the stripe fabric from your jacket? It was a great choice. She's lucky to have such an amazing teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!

    Kid, MD - Yes, she used the same fabric for the stripe challenge.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like DD is definitely taking after her momma...what a great job she did and it looks fantastic on her. I am very very envious of that figure of hers though :(.
    Oh, and what an amazing treatment on that zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations again on Winning. Love the way your daughter used the stripe challenge fabric and the skirt looks great on her. Now I can see the true blue of the dress and drooling over the texture and love the beaded zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your win! That's fabulous.
    Your daughter is beautiful, and she did a great job on a challenging project. The skirt looks good, but of course, she would look amazing in just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your win! Also, your DD looks so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your big win!

    Your DD's skirt turned out fantastic, and we know where she got that fabric, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a fabulous skirt!! Congrats on winning the Palmet/Pletch contest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CONGRATS!!! To you! You got skills! Your daughter looks so "hip" in her outfit. Love how she paired the combat boots with such an elegant skirt. This outfit rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Congratulations on your win! Your work is always excellent. Beautiful zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your contest win C! I am absolutely positive it was well deserved! What a great feeling it must beto have your daughter follow in your footsteps of sewing! (and she wants you to coach her too!).

    She appears to have caught on well from the looks of that great skirt...she's inspired me to got out and buy that pattern!

    P.S. wonderful idea on the beaded zipper, just amazing! Some great work coming out of your household!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!!! What a wonderful looking skirt. Your DD is beautiful. I have the same problem with my skirts in the front as your daughter. How did you make the adjustment for the flat stomach area?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Ladies.
    BPatricia74 - At the top (waist) of the front and front side skirt we removed about 1/2 inch. So starting from the center of the front side skirt gradually increasing as you approach the center front. This remove the excess fabric just below the waist along the center front.
    Thanks,
    Cennetta

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous skirt. I'm very interested in your method for the zip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your win! You are so talented! Your DD skirt is cute and I love her boots. She is blessed to have you by her side sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin