Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Festive Summer Vacay Dress - Simplicity S9598





Pattern DescriptionSlim V-neck pullover knit dresses in two lengths have long or short sleeves with cutout back and twist detail.  One view feature contrast layout.

Pattern Sizing:  The pattern is available in two size groupings (6-14) and (16-24).  I used between size 16 and 18.  This is very close fitting and I want just a little ease in the dress.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, it did.  I really like the way the dress turned out.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  The instructions were typical and easy to follow.  There was nothing confusing in them.  Of course, I changed a few things.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the V-neck, the twist/cutout, and the option to color block the dress.  There was only one dislike; the way the back elastic facing is supposed to be finished.  It did not look good.

Fabric Used:  I used an ITY knit that I purchased from Fabric Mart Fabrics a while ago.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  There is always something that needs to be adjusted or changed.  Here is my little list:





  • Small FBA made that produced a bust dart.  You can barely see it in this print.
  • Made a prominent shoulder blade adjustment.  I didn't want the twist to pull too much.
  • Selected a length between the two indicated on the pattern.
  • 3/4 Sleeve instead of the long sleeve
  • Sewed a channel for the elastic to be threaded through.  It looks better than just having the elastic between the skirt and facing.
  • Used a twin needle to hem the sleeves and the skirt.
  • The neckband was gapping a bit.  I had to make a deeper center front seam to make it fit better.  See pattern pieces showing the blue marking to indicate the new stitching line.  Note:  You must be precise in your stitching making sure both neckbands are stitched the same.  

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Of course, I will sew it again.  I don't know when though.  There are so many other dress patterns in my to make pile for 2022.  We will see how it goes. 

Conclusion:  I think this is a great little pattern to make a fun, festive summer dress.  It a good one for all level sewists. 
 
P.S.  I'll post pictures of me wearing soon.  No one available for a photo shoot today. Wink, wink.


Happy Sewing!
C

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous dress, Cenetta. Your print placement is amazing, especially given that center seam line. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin