Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Little Sewing Over The 4th of July Holiday - Starting w/S2633

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Ours was quiet compared to the normal gatherings. My third blogoversary went by almost unnoticed. Well, I did a little of this and that: shopping, sewing, socializing, and cooking. Lately, I've been on a strict pattern and fabric diet (ha, ha, ha). Seriously, I'm becoming more selective when choosing patterns for myself. These days I'm paying close attention to not just the designs I like, but whether or not this will look good on me. Recently, I sewed some wadders that didn't look good on and/or off the body.

Last month I thought I'd abandon the S2633 waistcoat/shirt project, but I couldn't let it go. So this weekend I was back at it trying to make this a wearable, likable garment. Today I'm very pleased with the results of my third attempt to get it hanging in the closet. So here's a preview:

I'm almost done. Last night I made the buttonholes and checked some of the seams again. I now need to hem, complete the closures, and press it. (Note on fabric: It is a stretch woven with the look and texture of sateen.)



When I tried this on I thought, "This can't be right. The collar stand is showing." So I looked at the diagram again. And yep it's showing.




Understitching of the facing.



Finally, the sleeve. This is what made this pattern attractive to me.



Closing on a tasty note, here are a few shots of the kabobs I grilled for the holiday. Hmmm, Hmmm, Good...,




23 comments:

  1. Gorgeous jacket and love the pleating on the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blouse looks great! You picked the perfect fabric for those unique sleeves. I sewed my second version of this blouse this weekend too! Still for a 2nd time, I spent a lot of time fiddling with the pleating on the sleeves. I still need to do the buttonholes. I think that is a neck band not a collar stand. It is like a continuation of the bodice. A collar stand "stands up" from the neckline. So I think the band should show in the back. When I get home from work tonight I will check it out on my blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey - Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. When I was fitting it without the neck band, the neckline was a low. I thought the fitting was off some how.

    Sheila - Thanks. It's growing on me again. Once I got the sleeves in, I was happy with the design again.

    Cennetta

    ReplyDelete
  4. That top looks great! I love the sleeve details! And as usual, your stitch quality is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blouse is going to be gorgeous. I love the sleeve treatment too.

    I know what you mean about, "This can't be right?" moments. When you carefully go back and look at the specs, it was there all along. BurdaStyle, formerly know as BWOF, patterns always have the tale-tell fitting issues in their pictures if you pay close enough attention, which I'm learning to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just gorgeous! Those sleeves are a wonderful detail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those sleeves!
    I know what you mean about not buying patterns or tracing them because I like them without thinking about if they are suitable for me. I have really been thinking about just the same thing lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this blouse has beautiful design details and your fabric choice is showing them out alot

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is looking super gorgeous! The color and design lines are interesting elements. Can't wait to see the finished products!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this pattern. It is perfect in that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did I miss previous post(s) of this dress' "flop?" I, too, love those sleeves, sis. Can't wait to see it. Hmmm. Red/Wine accessories?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelly - No flop published (smile). I sewed some not so good items that I didn't publish.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your work is so professional looking.Lovely.

    You are on a pattern diet- and I am on a fabric stash diet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blouse is lovely. The fabric has such a beautiful sheen! I have this pattern, unmade, and am so glad to know the neck band is as it should be, and not a drafting error that would drive me insane! Audrey's explanation makes sense. Thank you both.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you working on finishing it... it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Exquisite detailing. I am particularly in love with the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The details are beautiful! Love the pleating.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The sleeves are so pretty. The detailing is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just gorgeous! I want to find something like it for my wife

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic! The sleeve detail is awesome! I must get that pattern!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin