Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mixing It Up with NL6557 & M5624


This pattern has been reviewed 44 times on PR. It is no questioning the likability of this patterns. The first time I made View B was in 2007.

So why I'm I reviewing it again? Because there are endless possibilities for creating your own one of a kind dress. In recent years all of the major pattern companies have a "Create It" or "Design Your Look" line of patterns encouraging sewists to mix and match sleeves, bodice, collars, etc. This is a "technique" I've practiced for over 20 years. It was out of necessity/desire to get that sought after look without trying to draft my own patterns. So for this dress, I combined the top of NL6557 with the skirt of M5624.


Pattern Description: A-Line sundresses with various bodice styles.

Pattern Sizing: 8 - 18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? The bodice did.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. Nothing difficult.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the style of dress. Perfect for summer. Easy to make and wear. No dislikes.

Fabric Used: silky polyester purchased at JoAnn's.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I did my usual FBA on the bodice and used the skirt of McCalls 5624 cutting it at the desired length.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes. And yes I would recommend it to others. This patterns was published in 2006. But it is still popular and fashionable.

Conclusion: I like really like this pattern. This dress will be part of my cruise wardrobe for my upcoming vacation in Mexico. If you like this style of dress, try this pattern. You won't be disappointed.

27 comments:

  1. This fabric is very pretty. It's a great summer dress; stylish but still cool and comfortable to wear. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely dress in a beautiful print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea to mix different patterns to get the look you want. This is such a pretty dress. The print is perfect for a summer cruise.
    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mix things up, too, with patterns! The results are lovely, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. This dress is beautiful in every way. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these projects look wonderful. You're going to be the best dressed woman on the cruise. How low does the back on the Butterick go? Do you need a special bra for it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress, so colorful and cheerful! I too have been making one of kind clothing by merging patterns, especially when the girls bring me pics from magazines for prom gowns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty and I'm loving that fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is so pretty! I hadn't noticed this fabric before. Great print!! You'll look smashing while you cruise Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabric you used to make this dress! It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dress is really lovely. It will be perfect for the cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful dress and the print is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful dress, I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pretty dress! I love the bright colors--so summery. And you made a terrific Frankenpattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect for a cruise - the print is very summery and you're right, this pattern is still very much in style.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous dress and perfect for a cruise wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the fabric and Love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so perfect for a summer holiday! I hope you have a fab time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice!

    Happy blogoversary :) Mine was just a couple days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great summer dress! Love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks everyone! I did a preshowing of the dress yesterday. Love, love it. :-)

    Hi Teena in Toronto,

    Thanks for commenting. And Happy blogoversary to you!

    Cennetta

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love a good frankenpattern. ;) Great little summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful sundress! I love the fabric and I bet it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin