Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas Holiday Sewing - Part IV Burda 7708


Pictured incomplete - I needed to add one more button.

This is the hardest of all the Christmas sewing reviews. I made so many changes, not to mention several "do-overs" as I sewed this coat.

Let me first, speak on how this project came to be. In early March, my sister asked me to make her a coat. We shopped at Fishman's for the coating, beautiful stuff I might add. She had to special order it as they didn't have it on the store.

My DS chose Burda 7708. This pattern is rated easy, but with the many changes it became a bit of a challenge. Due to style changes and weight of the fabric.

Pattern Description: Burda did not provide a lot on the description. It's labelled as loose fitting, ample. Additionally, it is an unlined jacket with collar and hood variations, patch pockets, and darts.

Pattern Sizing: 18-32; I used 18/20.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

No, I made multiple changes using view A. The first was to extend it to coat length.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Before I started, I did read over the instructions and didn't find anything difficult about them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

This pattern was selected by my sister. It surfice to say she like the design of the jacket and wanted it made into a coat. For me, after seeing Annette's version, I'm thinking about making view C for myself.

No dislikes.


Fabric Used: A very nice wool coating from Fishman's Fabric.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Oh Boy, Here comes the difficult part. There were so many changes. I'm hoping I can explain them all. Let me start with the easiest one:

- Added about seven inches to the length.
- View A called for a few bands (strips of fabric over certain parts of the coat) shoulder and center back.
- Eliminated the "wrong side facing at the center front, pocket, and hood.
- Lined the pockets
- Instead of one button and two snaps. I added 4 more buttons and elminated the snaps.
- Eliminated the top stitches

- This is where it gets interesting; The following changes and alterations were "figure out" as I sew. As a result, I had to rip out and try again before getting it right. The first was the lining of the hood. The fabric was so thick and difficult to sew. Especially multiple layers. For the hood, I eventually attached the lining by sewing it rights sides together around the center front, leaving the neck edge free. Then trimmed the coat seam allowance, pressed it, turned right sides out, pressed hem (1"). Finally machine hem to the inside of the hood to create a polished finish without the bulk of multiple layers of coat fabric.

- Adding lining - Cutting the sleeves, hood, and back was easy. I just cut them the same as the coat. The front was another story. Because I wasn't going to follow the design of View A, I used the front pattern for view C. It includes a facing. To start, I cut the front lining about two inches beyond the end of the facing. Next, I sewed double fold seam binding along the facing of the coat. Then pressed the binding to the underside leaving the center fold visible. Next, I carefully place the lining beneath the facing making sure it was even along the neck edge and the sides of the coat. Then I pinned the facing to it. Finally sewing the facing to the lining (stopping about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom for proper hemming.). From this point I was able to sew the rest of the lining with no problem. It's not my recommendation to practice this "method"; and I plan research and teach myself the "standard method". Whatever that is. But this seemed to work.




Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I think I will make View C for myself.

Conclusion:

Although this is a fairly simple coat to make, this was an interesting project for me. I learned a few things; I need to learn a few more. ;-)I hope my sisters enjoys the coat. I think it turned out pretty nice.

Parting Shot: I also made two tops for my DS using Simplicity 4076. Here's one of them.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful coat! You did a wonderful job. Hope your sister is happy with it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin