Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Simplicity 5956 - Just as Easy as Vogue 1250


I picked up this very nice knit fabric at Vogue. It was about 1 3/4 yards and perfect for another easy knit dress. I thought about making Vogue 1250 out of it. But it darned on me I had another very easy Simplicity dress that I hadn't years in years. The first dress was made in 2004; long before I started blogging and reviewing patterns. So here's my review.

Simplicity 5956

Pattern Description: Misses' knit dresses or tops and knit or woven skirt.

Pattern Sizing: 4 -18; I made size 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were as easy as Vogue 1250. No problems. It took about two hours to make as the pattern envelope suggests.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like that it was another variation of a drape neck dress. The design of the front drape overlapped inside and connected to the front armhole which made for a clean finish. Additionally, the back of the dress is cut in two pieces. This give me better a fitting opportunity for a sway back.



This dress is A-line, not fitted or penciled like the Vogue dress. I think this silhouette looks better on me. No dislike.

Fabric Used: I think the fabric is a rayon jersey. It's similar to the fabric I used for the first version of V1250. I purchased it for under $7.00.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: My alterations were minor as the fabric had quite a bit of stretch in it. I did a sway back adjustment and lengthen the dress by a few inches. Also, I hand stitched the back neckline and back armholes. That's it.


I had limited fabric, but I managed to line up the print at the back seam.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This pattern is a keeper. I could go for another dress and a top or two. And yes, I do recommend it to others. It's super easy and stylish too. This pattern is out of print; But if you have it in your collection, give it a try. It's an alternative to Vogue 1250.

Conclusion: This dress sews up very quickly and a beginner could easily make it with no problems. I highly recommend it to all level sewers.

25 comments:

  1. Wonderful dress, great combination of pattern and fabric. I like how this pattern almost has a fully lined front to keep the neck in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's vetry pretty. Love the print. And your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dress rocks and you did such a good job. Great fabric and great pattern. Well fitted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really pretty!!! I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I have this in my stash! I might have to pull it out lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this style on you, Cennetta. And take one little ol' guess if I like that brown and white or not... Look like you could even wad this dress up in the suitcase, pull it out and wear it! Probably washes up easily in the bathroom sink, too! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this fabric is achingly stylish and it's just perfect for this dress. Serious garment envy going on right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one awesome dress and I love, love, love the fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fabric is to die for! And what a lovely pattern to have in your stash - a perfect match for the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way the fabric 'sells' this design. It looks absolutely sensational on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this and your jewelry is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful dress, beautiful material!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another lovely cowl-neck dress. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect print for a lovely dress... love the chevron print. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow,... wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look amazing in this dress. The print is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks fabulous on you!!!! The print is just gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zig-zaggingly gorgeous, Cennetta! Very nice merge of fabric and style!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cennetta, that is a fabulous dress. I love the print, the style..it's perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great dress! I love the fact that the cowl extends to the armholes to anchor it down. I find that many of the cowl facings flop out and I usually avoid those patterns. Redrafting the pieces like this dress would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great Dress and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful dress! You look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your blog post! I found it when searching for nightgowns with similar style (to buy). I just orderde the pattern on eBay & am excited to try it. I am a novice so would appreciate your recommendation for what type of fabric I should look for to make a nightgown with this pattern - I know my skills will already be tested using knitted fabric & I imagine that the lighter the weight, while better for my purposes will make it more tricky ito sew.
    Thanks in advance for any advice & you look fantastic in this,

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for commenting, Melissa. It all depends on what type of nightgown you are trying to make. This pattern was designed for knits, but you could make adjustments to make it up in a woven. You can do a google search for knit lingerie fabric. Some type of knit tricot comes to my mind. But it's up to you. Test by making a muslin of similar fabric first.
    Thanks,
    Cennetta

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin