Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Year in Review - 2011

I pondered and pondered; what angle could I use to make my year end review interesting? Nothing came to mind. So I looked at my previous reviews for help. What I noticed is that all of them included a tally of projects I finished. I noticed a steady increase in the number of things sewn. In 2011 I sewed about 65% for myself. Whereas in 2009 its about half for me and half for others.


Does this imply my generosity is growing thin? Or is sewing for others becoming a bit too stressful? Or has teaching sewing replaced the client projects that I normally take in? Well it's a little of everything. When I'm too stressed, it's harder to control my blood pressure. Clients can be very demanding. Often, more emotionally, intellectually, and chronologically draining than my service fee could ever hope to cover. So I'm not accepting too many client projects. Secondly, teaching sewing has filled much of the time that I would use for client projects. There are only so many hours in the day. Finally, I get the most pleasure out of sewing for myself. There is no stress; I sew as I please. If I lose interest in a project, I can lay it aside and work on something else. There are no deadlines, no challenges other than the ones I impose on myself. It's the best.

By comparison, this year is my best year so far. It's been wonderful. I've improved in fitting patterns and garments. I've challenged myself to try some different techniques. In September I became a member of Chicago chapter of ASG. Wendy Grossman invited me to do a presentation on wardrobe building (fun). Sarah McFarland (Threads magazine) contacted me regarding my LBD, hounds tooth in the Reader's Closet (published in the March 2012 issue). Still teaching sewing and still a member of the Haute Couture Club of Chicago. This is a phenomenal group of friends, who have become a great source of inspiration and motivation. I've become very good friends with Sandra Young, Rhonda Buss, and Patricia Ferguson just to name a few.   Fashion Show (HCC) weekend I meet some fabulous designers/sewists: Ann (Gorgeous Fabrics), Liana (Sew Intriguing), Kay (Sewing Lawyer), and Nancy (SewWest). Wonderful meet up. Then at the Pattern Review 10th Anniversary - Chicago, there was a sea of designers/sewists that I was able to meet, talk and laugh with over the PR weekend. Fabulous meet up. After meeting, Andrea (Knit-Knac) at Pattern Review, we became good friends talking on the phone at least four times a week. Then, we started having three way calls with Sheila Powell (Sheilaz-CTK). We have the best conversations that last for hours (but it seems like only a few minutes). Late fall Simplicity asked if I would review one of their small machines and be a feature sewist on Facebook Simplicity (fun). It's been a pleasure working with them. This has been a wonderful year of sewing and sewing related activities.

Last but certainly not least, I am happy that you continue to visit my blog and kindly leave comments. That is so appreciated.

So that being all said, here are several of my favorite things sewn in 2011. Heavy pictures:

























Coming later this week, some thoughts on upcoming projects and activities.

Happy Sewing!
C

21 comments:

  1. I'm simply impressed that you've sewn as much as you have! I always start the year with the intention to sew certain things, then something happens and I never quite get going. Anyway, keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a talented sewist and have such a wonderful sense of style. Your blog continues to be a great source of inspiration for me. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us and have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you sew a lot but that chart is stunning! You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and helping me understand the how better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you ladies. I've gotten a few comments on how much I sewn in 2011. A good portion of my projects take one to two hours to make. Many I cut in multiple. So that saves a lot of time.

    Thanks again,
    Cennetta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I am a regular reader of your blog and I always expect something inspiring from you, but to see a collection really puts into perspective just how talented you are. (I just was looking at what others wrote and I see "inspiring" is the word we have in common.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. What a great collection. I'm hard pressed to find a favourite. I'm gonna use that word again.....inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you've made a your little corner of the world so beautiful, Cennetta. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your review was anything but ordinary. I'm almost embarrased to to post mine on my blog. You are very talented and it show. Keep on inspiring me and everybody else!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply amazing ~ you have sewn some beautiful outfits this past year.
    And how nice that you have met so many great people. You have a full and wonderful life :)) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! 2011 was a great year for you. I have been following your blog since the begining and yes you have grown so much. The icing on the cake was when you joined the Chicago chapter of ASG. You are one of the many bloggers that have really inspired me to work on improving my sewing skills this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything is so amazing! I have to tell you...your red Vogue dress was the inspiration for me to make the same dress.
    I love that you did a graphic chart of your progeess!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a sweetheart to put me on your year-end review. I hope to see you at the Haute Couture show in May! I enjoyed seeing the pictures (again) of your many creations. They are lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderfully productive year you've had! Love all your creations. Looking forward to seeing what's in store for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cennetta, it has been an honor to get to know you better through Haute Couture--thank you so much for mentioning me in this post. I've been fortunate to see many of these garments IRL, and they are even more stunning than the pictures. I look forward to the coming year--and yes, Nancy, you will see Cennetta in May!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have had an amazing sewing year, it must have been hard to pick out your favourites. Thank you for continuing to blog and inspire us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful garments. Congratulations on a successful 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great year end review. I always like to see what fabrics you choose for various patterns, lots of inspiration from your sewing. Happy New Year, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on all that you have achieved! Your numbers are very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, the red dress still stands out as one of my favorites! What an awesome year you have had. Looking forward to all that you will create and share with us in the coming year! I always love to see what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are unbelievable! You inspire me. I love the dress for DD in purple!! Can't wait to see what you create this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the recap since I've been away from the blog world for almost a year now! Beautiful pieces you've made and can't wait to see what you have in store for 2012~!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin