Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Shades of Green - Simiplicity 1761



The it color for 2013 is emerald green. So I'm a little bit ahead of the trend. I'm already a fan of green, all shades of it. Today I'm reviewing skirt from Simplicity 1761, made in November first wearing last Sunday.

The pattern envelope photo shows the skirt made in a stiff fabric that doesn't do it justice in my opinion. I always open the envelope to see the actual line drawing. Before I made it, Sheila and I talked about how unattractive the skirt looked on the envelope. But I thought the faux suede, soft and fluid, would be a great fabric to showcase this pattern.

It can be described as unlined skirt in two lengths with front flounce that shows the wrong side of the fabric.  The pattern also includes a jacket and knit top.

The sizing is from 10 to 28W.  I used size 14, adding about 1/2 to side seams just in case.

My skirt does look like the one photographed, but with more drape.  The instructions were easy, nothing difficult.

What drew me to this pattern was the jacket.  Then I noticed the skirt.  I liked the flounces and fullness of the design. I thought this would be a great addition to my cold weather wardrobe.  There was nothing to dislike about it.  simple and easy.  It was perfect for what I had in mind for the fabric.

The green faux suede has been in my stash for about six years.  I bought it at Hancock's and initially thought I would make a button down shirt out of it.  Plans do change if you let enough time pass.


The changes I made were very minor.  I thought the fullness of the skirt would somehow expose the seaming.  So I sewed a french seam at the center back.  I didn't add any length to it.  As a result, my skirt stops higher the Khaliah Ali's version.


I might sew it again, but not soon.  Just last night I was looking at other skirt patterns I'd like to make this winter.  But I do recommend it to other if this is a style that you like.

This is a simple skirt to make that can be paired with a simple or dramatic top.

Next up, I will review the top that I am wearing with this skirt.  It is one of Rhonda Buss' designs.  It easy to sew and can be worn several different ways.

Stay Tuned!
C

19 comments:

  1. You wear this outfit really well. It's so elegant and green is my fav too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your skirt. You are right - the softness of your material is much nicer that the one on the cover. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look wonderful. Easy elegance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty ensemble, Cenetta. The "It" color is wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both pieces are gorgeous on you, Cenetta. Love the length of the skirt and the front ruffle piece. Can't wait to hear about the top as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice colors! :-). Meant to tell you late congrats on winning the Patti Palmer contest and kudos for attending Sandra B's retreat. Must be nice! It's good when one is able to take advantage of those opportunities. If I recall, you work FT? Even better when leave and job permits! :-). Congrats and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this skirt and I agree the softer fabric falls just beautifully on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cennetta, this is a lovely outfit. Completely the opposite, I was drawn to this pattern by the skirt. lol. I love the fact that you chose a suede fabric! That top is awesome. It reminds me of the new Sandra Betzina pattern minus the sleeves. I really need to make this skirt. This goes to the top of my list! You look really relaxed and comfy! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful color on you! And you were right the faux suede has just the right amount of drape to enhance the beauty of the skirt. Lovely outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this flowing skirt. These shades of green look fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great on you. I gave you an award, head over to my blog to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am with you on the love of emerald green and it looks great on you, especially combined with the textures and slightly different tones in this outfit. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I nominated you for the Lovely Blogger Award. Thank you for providing wonderful inspirational examples. http://yousewgirl.blogspot.com/2012/12/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great skirt! I am all into flounces lately, and the color is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love this skirt! So very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful skirt, and very flattering on you! The fabric used is a perfect choice. Your version is definitely better than the pattern photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! your skirt is SO much prettier than what is on the front cover of the pattern!!! I love the draping. will have to get this! thanks for reviewing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin