Wednesday, January 2, 2013

First Review of 2013 - Vogue 1124 Asymetric Vest/Cardigan


Happy New Year! Today is my first day back in the office since the start of the Christmas holiday season. It was a nice break. This morning the sun was bright and the temperature was a biting 15 degrees when I left for the office. But I'd rather have cold temps than snow.

This is my first review of the new year and my last garment made in 2012. Now, I have to say there are about about six more reviews for 2012 garments made. But I'll get to those later. This one is being reviewed because I actually wore this to work today. It's a Sandra Betzina pattern, Vogue 1124.



It is described as: MISSES' CARDIGAN AND VEST: Loose-fitting cardigan A and vest B. A: long sleeves and mitered hems. B: bands finishing the front lower edges and purchased belt, wrong side of fabric will show. Placement for armhole and sleeve is included for all sizes. It comes in sizes A through J.

 My version looks like the photo on the pattern envelope, except it's longer. I was a little confused about the joining of pattern pieces 2 to 5. Then when I added the band to the ends, it made the vest extremely long. I really like the shape of the vest. It's a relaxed look and comfortable to wear.

The fabric used was purchased at Stone Mountain and Daughter. It's a medium weight sweater knit. I didn't make any changes to the pattern. There is quite a bit of style ease in it. The only concern any may have is the width between the arm holes. Other than that, this is a easy pattern to sew and fit.

I don't know if I'll sew it again. It's unique enough that I only want one in my wardrobe. But I do recommend it to others. This is a definitely a statement piece for any wardrobe. It's versatile and can be worn to dress up or down.

22 comments:

  1. I love Sandra Betzina patterns, so relaxed and unique, and this vest is no exception. It looks great as you have styled it and I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking at that pattern. It's nice to see it on a "real person." Yours looks good. I'm only 5'2" so am wary of long garments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sweater vest and it looks fab on you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Cennetta! I have a question. Do you serge the seams on this fabric? I don't own a serger.

    Thanks. This is so nice on you, and I could dress up an outfit with this even here in the Pacific.

    ~Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well isn't that just cute as can be! Great piece. It is cold as you know what in MI, and already we've had quite enough snow. I'm sure you've had your share, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone.
    Kelley Dibble - I did serge the long edges. But you can easily turn the edge under for a smooth finish.
    Cennetta

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the PERFECT fabric for this. It looks so high-end! I bet one more in not so distinctive a fabric would also get a lot of wear as a basic layering piece. Well, at least for me. lol I'm going to have to have a second look at this pattern now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cenetta, what a beautiful sweater vest! I like your version better than the picture on the pattern. I like the length of yours quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this. It works well for you as you are tall enough to pull this off. You look like you will stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabric you have used is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your vest is great! I like the style and how it drapes so lovely on you and the fabric is pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your sweater. I was looking for a pattern for a fabric that I just pre-washed and this pattern will be perfect. The bonus is that I already have this pattern in the stash. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. By the way, I think it's smart to do this garment in a striped fabric and it's making me want one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great! Simple, but effective. I like the stripes and the subtle colours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this sweater vest, it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cute on you and I love the fabric you chose to make it in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sweater vest is awesome. I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is perfect for the season. Your fabric choice is great again:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the beautiful fabric and the way this style looks on you. Beautiful job!

    One thing... You may want to check the shoulder width on all Sandra Betzina patterns! She purposely has reduced it to fit an older woman, when the shoulders tend to narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, ladies.

    Allison - I'll keep that in mind.

    Thanks again,
    Cennetta

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin