Friday, March 13, 2015

Spring Fling with Supreme Neoprene




I'm so pleased with this project. What better way to start my spring wardrobe than with a supreme neoprene. I began my hunt for it after I saw a neoprene dress made by Ms. Erica B. Three weeks ago, I found it, the perfect, smooth neoprene.



At first glance I knew I had to have this audacious, attention getting print. I didn't need a swatch to know this fabric was a winner; good quality and sews like a dream. Too bad it's all sold out. Not to worry, Mood has a good selection of neoprene in stock.


Neoprene is on trend now. And Ms. Cookie Lyon (Taraji P. Henson) has a weekly showing of body hugging dresses that are a great source of inspiration. Her "standout" dresses inspired me to pair this fabulous fabric with Simplicity 1314 modified. Of course, I made several modifications to get the fit right for me.

It is a princess seamed dress with some center front and back details. The actual pattern is more a-line than straight. I made view C with the flange used for view D. Also included in the envelope are pants (view A) and sleeved dress (view B). It comes in sizes 6 to 22. I used size 16 with lots of modifications.


My dress is slightly different because of the changes I made. I was going for a slim dress instead of an a-line one. Other than that the dress looks like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope. The instructions were simple and easy to follow.

This was a good choice for the style of dress I had in mind. Princess seams work well with my body shape. And it is easy to make the pattern adjustments. I also like the curve of the dress panels. They add interest to the dress and can be used to create the illusion of a curvier body with a small waist. For my dress though, it's hard to see those details. Finally, I like the way this dress goes together. No sticky points.


I only had one dislike regarding the construction, and it was due to the thickness of the fabric. Where the flange and the armhole facing are finished, It was hard to get a polished finish. So instead of following step 25 I tacked down the facing by hand. The stitching does not show through to the right side of the fabric. I preferred this finishing to the recommended technique.

My usual fit adjustments:
 - FBA - Swayback
 - Prominent Shoulder Blades
 - Inch or two to length of skirt


After making these adjustments. The dress was too large everywhere, even in the bust area. I started with size 16, but the finished dress was between sizes 14 at the neckline and shoulders; 14/16 at bust; 14 waist and hips(with bust adjustment); and 12/10 below the hips. After all of these changes, I will probably use the pattern at least one more time.

I think this pattern is definitely worth a try. I like the design lines and it's not difficult to make. It's a good pattern for a princess seamed sloper dress.


This is my first dress for Spring 2015. I'm so glad that spring is on it's way. Neoprene is a great fabric to wear during this transitional period. The pattern; easy and sew up quickly.

That's all for now.  Happy Sewing!
C

32 comments:

  1. Great match of fabric to pattern. I love the print, it's just my kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, thank you. I did spend I little time working out the pattern placement. I'm so glad it worked out.

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love this dress!! Very flattering and truly love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! The fabric looks great. I have this pattern and needed some inspiration. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. Glad to help. ;-) Good luck with your dress project.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful dress. The fit is absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this....now I'm on the search for neoprene! Thanks for showing your pattern adjustments, a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dress. Your fitting is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! You've gotten really amazing at fitting yourself. It's just perfect. It's definitely a good princess seam sloper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. These days I'm trying super hard to get the best possible fit. For this dress I made a muslin and tweak that. Then cut, sewed, and tweaked tweaked the dress until I achieved the most comfortable fit.

      Delete
  8. VERY PRETTY!!! Cenetta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! I love the fabric also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!!!! The fit is right on! I have neoprene in my stash, and am ready to start sewing my Spring wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this dress on Instagram and was just going to leave a quick beautiful dress comment. Then I read the post and saw your reference to Cookie and Empire and laughed! She is a character isn't she?! I'm so in love with Empire - glad to know that you love it to! Oh and the dress is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn. I love the show. It is certainly entertaining. And Ms. Cookie with her over the top raw honestly and love for her family is my favorite character. Thanks again.

      Delete
  12. Perfect! This looks great on you- the print and the shape are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh love that fabric. Works well for your dress. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just saw this on the Mood blog and had to hop over here to tell you how awesome I think it is! I really, really love it- it's absolutely fantastic!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally stunning dress. I am madly in love with your fabric.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin