Monday, May 18, 2020

The Shirt Project 2020 - Simplicity S1166 In Review


The making of these three shirts is the beginning of my second Shirt Project.  About two weeks ago, I found the shirts in a bag while inventorying my UFO bin.  Everything was already cut and marked.  All I needed to do was sew them.  This was the perfect project to finish while I wait for my button order to arrive.

I made this shirt once before, but I didn't do a full pattern review.  So today I'd like to share my thoughts on this pattern. 

Simplicity almost never gives a good description of the pattern views. For this one they just said, "Misses' blouse, skirt, and bra top.  How vague is that?






My description for view B - Misses' blouse with dolman like 3/4 length cuffed sleeves with wide collar and curved hem.


The pattern comes in sizes 6 to 24. The sizes are grouped: 6-14  and 16-24.  I used size 14 with modifications.

This drawing and the envelope photo do not match.  The drawing is the same silhouette as my blouse, but the blouse on the model is different.  Either the blouse she is wearing  is three sizes too big or the pattern design is for an all together different pattern than what is provided in the envelope.




The instructions were easy, and I didn't see anything confusing in them.  I did make some fit adjustments and minor changes for my versions.

My likes:
  • Sleeve design
  • Wide collar
  • Cuffs
No real dislikes other than the misinterpretation of the design modelled on the envelope.


I used three different fabrics from three different sources:
The pattern alterations are some of my usual adjustments:  FBA plus I lowered the bust dart; and I lengthen the blouse about a few inches.

Design/Construction changes:  I did something a little different for each blouse
  • White - No top-stitching except for the cuffs.  I didn't do a rolled hem.  I serged, turned and sewed the hem.  Added darts to the back.  Stitched in the ditch of the shoulder seams instead of tacking the facing to it.
  • Stripe - Followed the instructions except for the hem and tacking the facing to the shoulder seams.  The collar design change for this one was due to limited amount of striped fabric.  I didn't have enough for both upper and lower collars.  So I used some of the white pima for the under collar.
  • Blue - Same as the stripe blouse. No design change.

So far I've made a total of four blouses using this pattern.  Why stop now?  I can see myself using it again.  And I do recommend it to others.  It's an easy sew.  All level sewists can enjoy making this blouse.

I noticed a few areas where I could tweak the fit a little more.  But overall I'm pretty pleased with how these turned out. They are good wardrobe staples and will be in high rotation.  Perfect pairing with jeans and pull-on pants.  


My tips:

Buttonholes
Collar

My first blouse made 2016.




Side Note:  Whenever I make shirts, I include at least one white one.  You can never have too many. ;-)


Happy Sewing!
C



4 comments:

  1. All three versions look stunning on you! That is a nice fitting blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa took the words right out of my mouth. All three blouses look great. I especially am fond of white blouses but have you ever found any cotton that contained a bit of spandex or lycra? I like a bit of stretch in my blouses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And yes I have fo u nd shirting, cotton, with some stretch. I purchased it also at Mood Fabrics. Thanks again.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin