Thursday, May 13, 2021

Red Sequins Maxi-Dress - M7119



I couldn't tell you why it took me so long to finish this maxi-dress.  It was in a bag in a box with ten other UFO's that I had cut and made ready to sew.  I was beyond happy when I finally finished it last week.  2018 is actually when I had planned to make the dress.  That's a long time to leave this beauty undone.




 Ranata of The Twilight Stitcher hosted a little red dress challenge (Instragram) in December 2020.  I didn't even start sewing it together.  Christmas gifts took up all my sewing time. Before I knew it, February had rolled around and gone.  Next target month was March; then finally April for the Maxi-Dress Mother's Day challenge hosted by Crystal Sews and Stuff and Crumpets Tea and Sewing, both on Instragam.  So I made it this time!

With that said, here is my review.  In hindsight, I should have done a "Notes on a Pattern" for the fit adjustments.




McCall M7119

This pattern is OOP.  Many have made it.  There are quite a few photos posted on the net.  Anyway, the pattern description:  Misses' Dresses:  Wrap dresses have bands, fitted bodice, gathered back, neckline, tie ends, skirt (semi-fitted through the hips) variations, and narrow hem.  A, B: Bias armhole facings B: Shaped hemline, wrong side shows. C: short sleeves. D: Elasticized sleeve. C, D:  Gathered sleeve cap.

Pattern sizing are 6 to 22.  I used 16 with modifications.  Lots of modifications. Lol.

I really love how this dress turned out. My version is a cross between views C and D. Basically, it is view C with long sleeves. The instructions were typical, but easy to follow.  Nothing in them confusing.

There are so many things I like about this style of this dress.  They are:

  • Wrap dresses are flattering for my figure. ;-) 
  • The gathering at the neckline and the sleeves
  • Skirt waist.  It defines my waist or lack there of. Lol
  • The neckband.  Makes it easy to adjust the neckline. No gapping.
  • So easy to make and it looks great.
Dislikes - None

The fabric is from Mood Fabrics, item #319054.  They may or may not still have it if you are interested.  It's a moderate stretch knit with sequins rectangles throughout the fabric.  





My pattern adjustments were mainly to the bodice.  This is were my greatest fit challenges are.  Truth be told, this one felt like I redrafted the entire front bodice.  The adjustments are:
  • Full bust adjustment, which created a waist dart.
  • Moved the bust dart down about 2 inches.
  • Two small tucks to keep the neckline from gapping, done to both front bodice and neckband.
  • Lengthen the bodice by about an inch or so.  I wanted to make sure it came to my waist.
  • Prominent shoulder blades adjustment to the back bodice.
  • Lengthen the skirt by a few inches.
I will definitely make this dress again.  It sewed up in about five hours.  No buttons or zipper.  Easy.  I also, recommend it to others.  It is a great little dress for all seasons and occasions depending on your fabric choice.





I'm so pleased with how it turned out, it is one more UFO finished!  

Happy Sewing!
Cennetta

P.S. - My necklace and earrings are made by my DD. ;-)







11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous - you did good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL Cennetta Both YOU and the DRESS! Thank you for Posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning! and you look lovely in this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have some where to go as glamorous as the dress is. It is a wonderful dress and you look so stunning in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie. Hopefully, I'll have some event to wear it to. We will see.

      Delete
  5. beautiful and you are ready for a holiday party in December!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin