Wednesday, January 12, 2022

First Garment of the Year! McCall M7836






Today I'm sharing my first sewing project for 2022.  This is the third top that I've made from McCall 7836.  The second one hasn't been reviewed yet.  I gave it to my sister early last year and almost forgot I made it.  



My initial plan was to make all the views.  But now I don't think I'll make view D.  My favorites are this view and view A.  I'll probably make them again.

This top was made to wear with a pair of leggings that I made a few months ago (I'll review them later this month.).   

I used size 16 with only a design modification.  The sizing was good for me without making a FBA.

For the most part, my top looks like the top the model is wearing on the envelope.  The top was easy to sew and it went together with no problems.





There are a few little things to look out for.  The notches on the two front and two back patterns do not line up.  See photos below.  No biggie, just line up the top and the bottom edges and sew them together.  It comes out even.  There was nothing confusing in the instructions other than that.




My likes:

  • Drop shoulders
  • Mock turtleneck
  • Cold shoulder and the drape of the sleeve
Dislikes:
  • Once I finished the top, I didn't like the width of the shoulder opening. It was too wide for me.  So I decided to make a braided strap to kind of control how wide the opening falls and to make it easier to wear with a traditional bra.  I think the strap adds a little more style to the top too.



The fabric I used is a stretch polyester velvet that I purchased at my local JoAnn's Fabric.  It washes and dries beautifully.  And it was also easy to sew.

I will probably make this again.  It's stylish and is a great top to wear with leggings or close-fitting pants.


I do recommend it to others.  This is not a new pattern.  And I think many sewists in the online sewing community have made it.  For sure I will make this one again.

Happy Sewing!
C

















1 comment:

  1. The braided strap at the shoulder is brilliant. It's a detail that just elevates the whole top another notch. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin