Thursday, June 30, 2022

Summertime Fun Dress in Ankara Fabric - Simplicity S8594





Today is the last day of June and it is 98 degrees HOT!  Great time to wear my latest creation, using a red and black, Ankara fabric that I purchased at the Textile Warehouse. I began sewing this dress last Thursday and finished it on Sunday.  

My photographer, DD, was available to take a few pictures of me wearing it this afternoon.   The sun was high and bright.  The heat was on. Lol

This will be a short and sweet review as I don't have pictures of the pattern alterations.  Sorry.  If you check out many of my previous princess fit adjustment makes, you'll get a good idea of the changes I had to make for this pattern. 


Pattern Description:  Misses and Petites with bodice and skirt variations.  The bodice options include a crewneck with slit or a halter, and the skirt can be made straight or flared with pockets.  I made View C with modifications, size 14 graded up. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, it did.  Of course, I lengthen the skirt and made a few other changes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Sorry, I really didn't read the instructions.  I've made this style dress many, many times before.  At a glance, I guess they were typical.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the halter style of the dress.  And I thought it would be a great style for the fabric that I selected.

Fabric Used: I purchased this Ankara fabric from the Textile Warehouse in Chicago on 21st Street.  They have a variety of colors and prints for the reasonable price of about $6.00 per yard.  It is 100 percent cotton.  It also washes and presses very well.  That's something I always appreciate with natural fibers.  I love the print and the vibrant red and black colors.  




Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I made a ton of changes.

  • FBA and graded the pattern up.  When I purchased this pattern, the largest size grouping available at the store was size 14. So, I made it work for me.
  • I shortened the straps by 2 inches, much too long for me.
  • NOTE:  I forgot to make a sway back adjustment.  Not too bad though.  If I use this bodice again, I'll be sure to do it to remove the excess fabric at the lower back.
  • Lengthen the skirt.  Also, I barely had enough fabric for my desired length.  On a few of the lower corners of the skirt, I had to "piece" the corners together.  See picture below to see an example.  You can hardly tell. wink, wink.
  • I installed an invisible zipper instead of a regular one, only because I didn't have one in my stash, and I refuse to buy another one. 


Observation:  The bodice is a little low at the underarm.  I'd would bring it up about 1.5 inches for a better fit and look.





Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes and yes.  I would consider making it again.  This view, view C, which I like the most.  Also, I recommend it to others.  It's a great little summer dress that is not difficult to make.

Conclusion: I am pleased with how this dress turned out.  The fit is almost perfect. and I really like the combination of the fabric and style.  Great little summer dress that beginners and experienced sewists could make with no problem.

Happy Sewing!
C






8 comments:

  1. Loving that style on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling, and looks so perfect for that stinkin' hot weather. You look cool and beautiful in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it, that's one of my favorite necklines. fit is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thank you, it's becoming a favorite of mine too.

      Delete
  4. Love this dress on You. The fit is just perfect. Kudos. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the appearance of the Ankara fabric, the red and black print, and the drape of your Summertime Fun Dress! It looks light and swingy.
    You look absolutely gorgeous modelling it in the outfit photos above!!!
    WOW, 98 degrees really is hot, and there's still three more weeks until the middle of Summer.
    I feel lucky that its only been in the low eighties here (Long Island, New York).
    Best xx <3 :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin