Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Casual Separates: Simplicity 1198 Draped Top and Paper Cut Ooh La Leggings





This is quickly becoming my favorite comfy casual outfit. I like the combination of the colors and the style of my new knit separates.


Both patterns are new to my collection, having purchased them only last month. I hope to make more of both. Today, I will review each pattern, beginning with Simplicity 1198-E. I bought it for view A. It's funny how I always seem to select the least favorite view to make first.


Simplicity describes this pattern as: Misses' knit tops. Needless to say, Simplicity rarely gives a good description of the pattern views. I described view-e as scooped neck loose fitting knit top with right side drape, 3/4 off the shoulder sleeves, and a curved hemline. The pattern comes in sizes XXS to XXL. I cut between medium and large with no alterations to accommodate fit. There was enough ease across the bust and back areas. I did not make a sway back adjustment as this top is floaty and loose fitting.


The top looks like the drawing and photos. And the instructions were simple and easy to follow. I'd like to give a word of caution when it comes to measuring and applying the elastic to the lower center of each sleeve. I think 3" is a bit long. I cut mine 2.5" instead. The center front neckband does not fit as snug as I like.  I recommend reducing the length of it  and stay stitching the neckline before attaching the neckband.


The side drape and the uneven hemline of this view helped me decide to make this view first. Although the top is loose fitting, it is not an unflattering silhouette. The length and shaping of the drape slenderizes the body. It is important to select a fabric with enough stretch. The fabric I used came from Vogue in Evanston. I found it on a table of assorted knits with assorted fibers. It has a little more stretch than recommended, but is perfect for this top.

I will definitely make this top again. Yesterday I purchased another knit print for my second top. And I do recommend this pattern to others. I like it, and it requires minimum amount of fit adjustment and is not difficult to sew. All level sewists should be able to make it.



Ooh La Leggings with Simplicity 1916 Top


Now for the leggings. Ooh La Leggings


Dawn (Two On Two Off) and Lauren (Lladybird) convinced me that this pattern was worth a try. These leggings come in three lengths: full, 3/4 and knee. They are, of course, close fitting and have front and back yokes with leg seaming for an interesting look.


The sizing is from XXS to XL. I started with a large and had to trim them down a bit for a better fit.


They certainly look like the photo and drawing. The instructions were easy to follow, no problems. What's not to like about these leggings. The seaming is very flattering and gives you the option to color block. They are versatile. You can wear them as part of your workout gear; or choose to wear them as part of a casual outfit.


For my leggings, I used a beefy knit from Vogue (Evanston), with a small amount of stretch crosswise. Lengthwise there is 50 percent stretch. So I use the lengthwise stretch around my body instead. The wrong side of the fabric is just as nice as the right side. So I used both to add a little more interest to my leggings. The front panels are the wrong side of the fabric.




First I added a few inches to the length while cutting them out. The next changes came as I sewed them. I joined the front and back yokes to assess the fit. I had to take out about an inch along the sides of the yoke. I continued with sewing the rest of the legging together. Then another fit check. The arches in the front, back and side were bagging outward. So I reduced them, removing about an inch from each. From the upper thigh to the ankle, I reduced the circumference of the leg by 1.5". Next, I cut off about 1.5" from the top of the center front, decreasing to about an inch at the sides continuing across the entire back of the yoke. I sewed almost the entire pant on the serger. The casing for the elastic and the hem were sewn on the sewing machine. I will sew these again and again.


This is a very good pattern, and I recommend it.



Happy Sewing!
C

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. you look great in both outfits! my build is similar to yours, so I will have to give these a try! thanks!

      Delete
  2. Like Faye said, great casual look. Nice colors on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is nice. The colors are combined beautifully. I'll have to take more notice of combining jewel tones in my own wardrobe.

    As for the leggings, its seems you were able to take advantage of several built-in fitting seams. I can see why they would become a staple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. Jewel tones work well with my complexion. The seams on the leggings are great. I was able to easily make the necessary changes.

      Delete
  4. Very cute! I have had that pattern out for awhile; waiting to cut. It is somewhat similar to the Burda drape top I made and I would love to see this one in a stripe!

    Nice fit on the leggings too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs. Smith. I think you will like this version of the drape top.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous! love the design details in the leggings.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen that side drape top made by others and never liked it, but yours really looks great. Your fabric choice is just right for this top and the color is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great outfits! I love the way you used the wrong side of the fabric in the leggings... makes them look very chic and expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah.., Thanks Ginger. It does add a little more interest to them. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Love, love, love the outfit. You look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the entire look! The top and legging look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aisha J. I'm certainly going to make more leggings.

      Delete
  10. I love all your outfit ! This green top is really chic on you !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely outfits. The leggings look so flattering with all those seams. Great use of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never ever would have given the Simplicity pattern a second look. Your top, however, is gorgeous. The color is stunning on you and the drape is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The green draped top is perfect. Love the colour, love the lines.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin