Thursday, April 2, 2020

Butterick B5429 - Knit Top The Second Try




I had enough fabric leftover from the Sandra Betzina ruched top.  So I decided to use the remnant to make this Butterick twist yoke top. This was one of my late March quarantine sewing projects. This was I relatively easy top to make.  The twist construction was a little different from the more recent Big four pattern instructions.

This was my second attempt to make this top. Years ago when I first purchased this pattern, I tried the top and it just didn't turned out right, a wadder.  I think it was the fabric though.

Anyway




Butterick Pattern Description: Misses'/Misses' Petite coat, top, skirt and pants.  Coat A is loose-fitting, lined with patch pockets and dropped shoulders.  Tops B, C are close fitting with front neckline twist, dropped shoulders and stitched hems.  B sleeveless C; long sleeves.  Straight skirt D has fron and back darts, back zipper and waistline facing, length is 2" above mid-knee.  Pants E have straight legs , fron and back darts, mock fly front, side seam pockets and waistband.

That is one long pattern description. 

Pattern Sizing:  Group pattern sizes (8-14) and (16-22).  I used the 14 with modifications and a little grading up the size.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Pretty much.  It could be a little more close fitting.  That's an easy adjustment.


Were the instructions easy to follow?  Typical and easy.  Nothing confusing.  With the twist, you just have to take your time.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I liked the twist.  I'm always looking for comfortable, simple knit tops with a "twist".   No dislikes.


Fabric Used:  I used Mood's Shaded Spruce, Baleine Blue and White Abstract Printed Polyester Jersey knit.  Unfortunately, it's sold out.  Here's the other top that I made in January.



Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I graded the pattern up and mini FBA, prominent shoulder blade, and swayback adjustments.




Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes and yes.  This is a good staple.  You can dress it up or down, down to lounge wear.  I recommend it to all level sewists if you have the pattern.  It's out of print (c 2009).


This was another quick and easy top.  Perfect for using up remnants.  I will definitely make a few more.  Good pattern for beginners.  A little twist to a basic t-shirt like pattern.

Parting Shot:   Reading or listening suggestion - "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom




Happy Sewing!
C


2 comments:

  1. i like a top with a twist too! This is hard to see because of the print and darker color. I really like the first one with the ruching. Do you wear it? Sometimes I find I have things in my closet that I like but don't wear. Its a mystery sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry the colors are too dark to see the actual twist. As for the first top, it is in high rotation. There are something that sit in my closet awhile. Some grow ok n me later, while others never do. Eventually, I find new homes for my least liked garments.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin