Sunday, January 24, 2021

Hoodies - McCall M8054

 

 


 


I wanted to make something other than pajamas for my daughter.  But I didn't want to spend time going through the whole fit process.  I've been physically l and mentally drained for a number of reasons, which I won't go into.  So, when I was searching for something to make for her, I came across this McCall's (M8054, CharlieMcCalls) hoodie pattern.  It was in a bag of patterns that I purchased before the Covid-19 lock down.   I thought it was easy enough not to require any major fit issues.  


 

McCall's describes it as: Close-fitting, pullover tops have princess seams and narrow hem. A: Purchased trim. A, B: Neck band. Fitted hoodie has hem band and exposed zipper. C, D: Contrast lined hood. D: Kangaroo pockets. All have cuffs and raglan sleeves, and fit for men's sizing.

I made size small for my DD, views C and D with some design changes.  In my opinion, it is not close- fitting.  It doesn't look close-fitting on the pictured model, and it is not close-fitting on my DD.  Anyway, other than that, the hoodies does look like the picture and drawings on the envelope.



 

The instructions were typical and easy to follow. Nothing confusing in them.  

I liked this pattern for a few reasons: one mentioned earlier.  Easy to make without going through a lot of fit adjustments.  It's a basic hoodie.  What's not to like?  Young and old love wearing them.

For View C - I used a striped sweatshirt fleece from Mood Fabrics.  I also purchased the ribbed knit from Mood for the cuffs.  The red contrast for the hood was a remnant from a turtleneck top that I made in November.

For View D - I used a speckled sweatshirt fleece from Vogue Fabrics.  The ribbed knit for the cuffs and band is from Mood and the trim on the sleeves is from JoAnn's Fabrics.

The only changes that I made were in the design.  




 

View C - No contrast for the side front and back.  I only contrasted the inside of the hood.  Very small change.




 

View D - I wanted to add a little somethin' to the sleeves.  So I added a trim with metallic silver dots on velvet, some interest for this basic hoodie.


 

The little lady loves them.  She wears them often.  Her happiness makes me happy.  I don't know if she'll want more of these.   But, I think I will make a few for myself. This is a basic hoodie pattern that I would recommend it others.  It is a few inches longer than the average hoodies, which is a nice design element.  

The hoodies were fun to make.  I was very pleased with how they turned out.  The construction process was smooth sewing.  No fit adjustments, no construction issues.  Happiness.

This completes my Christmas gift sewing projects for 2020.

Next pattern review will be on a color blocked outfit that I made for myself.  It was the last project of 2020.

Happy Sewing!

C

10 comments:

  1. Te han quedado unas sudaderas estupendas, lucen mucho. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely hoodies for beautiful daughter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think both versions are nice! I love the stripe down the sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really nice and you did a great job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These hoodies look great and your daughter looks great wearing them. I agree with you about the fit-not close fitting. They look relaxed without being sloppy. I also like the stripe down the sleeves-very clever idea. I may have to get this pattern myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I was surprised at the written description vs. what the hoodie actually looks like. Even on the model it is clearly loose fitting. Anyway, we both like them. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Your daughter looks so great in these, Cenetta, and what a beautiful job you did with them. I love this pattern and have been eying it for a couple of months. Every time there is a pattern sale on it at Joanns they are out of my size right away. I may bite the bullet and pay regular price. It looks fabulous. What a beautiful daughter you have there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bunny. I so surprise that the pattern is out of stock. When I started this project, I only found a few sewists who had sewed it. Maybe they are like me; I collect patterns. Lol Thank you again, Bunny.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin