Saturday, January 30, 2021

Color Blocked Jacket With Ooh La La Leggings - Vogue V8795 and PaperCut Leggings

 



I decided months ago to make another pair of OohLaLa leggings.  Actually, I planned to make two pairs out of the designer rayon double knits that I purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics last fall.  After completing them I had about 3/4 yard leftover of each color.  It was too much to through away and two little to make another garment.  I was determined not to start another bin of scraps as I already have several in my sewing studio and in the garage.   So, I had to figure out some way to use them up immediately after making my leggings.  





This is why I came up with the idea to make a color blocked jacket.  It took some thought and a whole lot of playing Tetris with the pattern pieces.  The best design solution was to make each side a different color.  It was still a challenge with making the sleeves long enough.  So, I did something that my grandmother taught me many, many years ago.  She called the process "piece mill".  The sleeves are actually two pieces sewn together to get the desired sleeve length of the jacket.   I guess it could be considered a design element.  



Once I got all the pieces cut out, I began to happily put together my jacket.  This is not the first time that I used this pattern.  I first made the jacket way, way back in January 2013. It is Vogue V8795.  The complete review on that project is here.

The first time I made the leggings was in 2015.   I loved them and can't say why it took my so long to make them again.  The Papercut Ooh LaLa Leggings are reviewed here.   

There is nothing to add to the review of the leggings.  They were super easy to make and my likes remain the same.  As for the jacket, the major difference is color blocking it.  My design changes are centered around using a limited amount of two different fabrics to get one complete jacket.   The sleeves are two pieces: a upper and a lower piece.  The back of the jacket is also two pieces with a center back seam. This jacket is about 1" shorter than the first one due to fabric limitations.


I love how the jacket came together.  The whole process was fun.  All of the fabric was used. And I have a little jacket that I can wear with either pair of leggings. 

The fabric is a Designer Rayon Double Knit from Gorgeous Fabrics.  Here is where you can find the Deep Purple on Ann's site.   There are several  other colors to choose from.  This knit is wonderful.  It does not pill and has great recovery.    

I'm pleased with this project.  It was the last outfit that I made for myself in 2020.  I think it was a good final project.  The leggings are great and super easy.  Although the jacket took a little time to make, I am very pleased with the results and glad I was able to use the scraps.  Both patterns are a good sew, and I recommend them.

Happy Sewing!

C



2 comments:

  1. clever solutions and a great outfit, love the color block look

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the use of the fabric and looks great on you!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin