Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Jump Starting My Fall Sewing - Simplicity S9222



Today, I was determine to post something.  Anything, in fact, about the sewing projects that I've completed in August.  So, after dinner I decided to start writing this post right away before something else distracted me.

My gardening injury has healed to the point of a slight soreness and numb at the tip of my finger near my fingernail.  Anyway, I'm now able the type out a post on the computer.

Carol's Dress

At the beginning of the month, I sewed Simplicity S9222.  It is a fairly new pattern and I haven't found many reviews on it.  Carol Crocker-Ware inspired me to try it when she posted her version on Facebook.  



So, here is my little review of Simplicity S9222.

Here's the description provided by Simplicity:  "Misses' knit dress with asymmetrical draped bodice; long or short flared skirt has three sleeve lengths.   I'd like to add that the neckline is finished with a neckband and that the bodice drape is created by horizontal pleats at the lower front and back bodice.

This pattern is available in two size groupings:  (6-14) and (16-24).  I used is 16 with almost no pattern adjustments.  Surprise!  Also, I have to admit that the sizing runs a little large.  Initially, I made a no dart FBA.  When I tried it on, there was just too much fabric throughout the bodice.  Especially,  in the front armhole area, the sides had to be taken in, and the center was hanging much lower than the rest of the bodice. Oh, I forgot to say, I didn't make a muslin. So, I ripped out all the affected seams and removed the excess.  Luckily, it was not difficult to readjust the width and length. In the end, my dress looks like the illustrations provided on the envelope. 





The instructions were typical.  Nothing difficult or confusing in them.  I made view C with a few minor changes in the construction.  The pleats were not deep enough for me.  So, instead of making them about 2.5" long, I made them about 5" long. I also added a few inches to the skirt as I have long legs and I wanted it to fall just below my knee.




What I liked most about the dress is the drape affect that the pleats make.  Additionally, the flare of the skirt and that the neckline is completed with a neckband.

My dislike are the length of the shoulder seams.  I don't understand why the Big-four add so much length as the size goes up.  It's almost always too much.  The fit of the sleeve was too loose.  But it's also that way on the model.  

My fabric definitely speaks fall.  I purchased it from Fabric Mart Fabrics earlier this summer.  It was on sale for about $4.99 per yard.  I bought four. It is a crepe knit with moderate stretch. I love the drape of it, and it wears well.

I don't think I will sew this pattern again because I have so many dress patterns to try.  But I do recommend it to others.  It is a fairly easy pattern and the sizing or ease is very forgiving.

This was a good project to jump start my Fall, 2021 sewing.  It was easy to sew with nice results.  I recommend it to all level sewists.  This dress can be worn by itself or with a nice jacket or cardigan. 

Parting Shot:  A silly photo taken after my little photo shoot.



Stay tune for more pattern reviews.  That's all for now, my Darlings!  





2 comments:

  1. All I can say is you know how to sew. I wish you were my neighbor and could teach me all about fit. You do a great job on all that you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress looks great on you. Thanks for sharing your experience with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin