Friday, August 20, 2021

McCall's M8115 - Something New
















This month, so far, I've made four new tops.  I'm in "need" of some new ones. Lol.  So I decided to try McCall M8115.  This is one of the newer patterns that also has a name, Sierra.  




The pattern is designed for woven fabrics.  But I decided to used a knit that I purchased at JoAnn's a few months ago.  I made this my wearable muslin.  This top helps me with fit adjustments for my woven fabric version. 

McCall's description is:  Pull-over dolman faux wrap top with hem variations.   It's available in sizes XS to XL.   I sewed View C using between sizes medium and large with a few other modifications.

My version looks similar to the photo and drawing.  The difference is I used a knit and the FBA resulted in a few gathers below the bust.  

The instructions were easy and the top went together with no problems.  I was able to sew it up in a few hours.






I like few of the design elements:
  • faux wrap - flattering on my figure type
  • flared lower bodice - also flattering on my figure type
  • Dolman sleeves
Nothing to dislike.

I made a few of my usual fit adjustments:
  • Sway back tuck, added length of tuck to the lower back to balance the hem.
  • FBA - Slashed and spread, soft gather of the lower edge of upper front bodice
  • Lengthen facing accordingly.
Now, I need to decide on a woven fabric for the second version. I do recommend this pattern to other sewists, all levels.

BTW - I didn't find any reviews on Pattern Review, and only a few people posted their versions on Instagram.  I guess this pattern is not a favorite or sewists haven't gotten around to making it yet.  Anyway, I think it is worth a try.  

More to come soon.  Happy Sewing, my friends!
C


2 comments:

  1. The vertical stripe is EVERYTHING. I love this top on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my dear. The vertical stripes are everything. ;-)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin