Saturday, September 4, 2021

Last Summer Dress of 2021 - Butterick B6600





These past few weeks have been so hot and humid.  Goodness!  I'm so looking forward to fall.  But before I totally shift gears into fall/winter sewing, I wanted to finish the last summer project that was on the cutting table.

Butterick B6600 is a pattern that I've owned since 2018.  And this is the first time I've used it.  I purchased it for the "V" neck top/dress.  I could make ten of these.  

Anyway, here is my review:



Pattern Description: A, B, C: Close-fitting zip front jacket and pullover top and dress have length and sleeve variations. D: Jumpsuit (fitted through the bust), has encased elastic and tie at waist. E: Loose fitting wide leg pull-on pants have encased elastic and tie at waist.  For moderate stretch knits only.

Pattern Sizing:  This pattern is available in two size groupings. (XS-M and L-XXL). I used sized medium with modifications.  I actually graded up some where between a medium and large.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, my dress looks very much like the dress on the envelope.  View C falls above the knee on the model.  I added a few inches to the length.  So my dress falls mid-knee.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  The instructions were very easy and typical.  I basically glanced over them.  I didn't see any thing difficult or confusing.  The steps that I paid attention to were for constructing the neck band.  It was important that I get it as close to perfect as possible.  Since it is a focal point and using contrasting ribbing brings more attention to it.






What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  Oh, I have a few likes for sure.  They are:
  • "V" neck 
  • Sort of A-line.
  • Great opportunity to use another stripe fabric in my stash. ;-)
  • Easy to sew.
No dislikes.

Fabric Used:  I purchased this knit from Fabricmart Fabrics earlier this summer.  I didn't know what I'd make out of it.  I just liked the red and white stripes.  When I received it, I immediately tossed it along with other fabric into the washer.  Then I dried it.  When I removed it from the dryer, it was softer and still had the same great recovery that it had before I washed it.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I made a few fit changes along with grading it up in a few areas.
  • Swayback adjustment and added a center back seam.
  • Added a few inches to the length.
  • The neck band was extremely long.  I reduced the length by two inches - pattern.  So that comes to a total of about four inches.  It may have been due to the ribbed knit that I used.
  • The placement of the bands on the sleeves.  Mine are a little closer together than view C on the envelope.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Oh yes,  I'll make the dress again and plan to make a top.  And yes, I do recommend this pattern.  As always, I checked social media to see if other sewists made any view of the pattern.  There were a few people who made the jumpsuit, who posted on Instagram.



Conclusion: I enjoyed making this t-shirt dress up.  It went together with no problem.  I recommend it to all levels of sewists.   

I was lucky my daughter was willing to take pictures of me wearing it the same morning I finished it.  So afterward, I thought I may as well keep it on, which I did. Tee hee.

So that's all for now.  A very simple t-shirt dress that turned out great.  

Happy Sewing!
C

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin