Sunday, January 7, 2024

Faux Shaved Lamb Fall Coat - Burda Style 7028





I finished this months ago, and it was just in time for the midwestern mild winter.  

I've wanted to make View A for quite some time, and I knew I would make some changes.  Starting with, adding a collar.  And in this case I did just that.  Anyway, here is a quick pattern review of this coat project. 

Pattern Description:  Coat and jacket.  That's all Burda Style indicates on the envelope.  Their descriptions are just as vague as their sewing instructions.  But I must admit, they always have interesting styles.  So, I will add that view A is a cocoon style coat with waist darts and in-seam pockets.  Both views are lined and have drop sleeves.

Pattern Sizing:  The pattern comes in  sizes 10 to 22.  I used a size 16. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Pretty much.  I made a few minor changes.  Instead of one button, my coat has three. 

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were typical Burda.  Nothing difficult or confusing.  I did make a few changes in how I constructed my coat.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  

 

Likes:

  • The cocoon silhouette of the coat.  I've never made or had a coat styled like this.
  • The front in-seam pockets. 

Dislikes:

  • Construction of the lining and how it is sewn to the coat.  I followed this step.  After I completed it, I tried it on to see how the coat would lay/hang on my body.  The hem was all wonky.  There needs to be at least an inch hem in the coat to help it hang better, which I did around the curve from one side to the other.  That improve the hang of the coat. 

Fabric Used: This coat is made with Theory black faux shaved lamb (#313222) from Mood Fabrics.  It has been in my stash for at least four years.  So Mood may not have it in stock anymore.  It is soft to the touch and has a knit backing.  It was easy to sew.  For the lining, I used a crepe back satin that I purchased at JoAnn's.  The weight of it adds a bit more thickness to the medium weight coat. 


 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I really didn't do much in the area of fit alterations.  I used size 16.  But I think size 14 would have been better.  The sleeves were extremely long (Cut them to appropriate length) and the neckline is a little too roomy.  I did take in the sides about one inch for a slightly closer fit. I added buttons.  One button isn't enough.  Lol  And, I used the crepe satin to make the button loops.  No other changes other than the hem construction that I mention above.






Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I really think that I may sew it again.  Maybe next time with a detachable collar.  Just for fun.  I do recommend it to others.  You may want to make a muslin before cutting into your fashion fabric. Wink, wink.

Conclusion:   I like how this coat turned out.  It is quite different from any other coat that I've made.  So that’s it for now.

 



Happy Sewing!

C

 

 


2 comments:

  1. I have so many coat patterns & yet to make one,I think now they can be considered cost patterns collections 😄you cost turned out fantastic! It is beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I have a coat pattern collections as well. It just makes it easy to selection which coat I'll try next. Thank you again.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin