Saturday, January 6, 2024

Holiday Champagne Outfit - Butterick B6913








Happy New Year Everyone!

It's good to still be here.  Today, I'm glad to post a pattern review of my Christmas outfit.  I have a few more reviews for 2023 to post.  So please be patient.  I'm hoping to write a few posts at a time in hopes of getting all of them done as  quickly as possible.  

Butterick B6913

I wanted to start with this project because it is my favorite make from the last quarter of 2023.  So, let me begin with the pattern description that is straight from the Simplicity UK website: relaxed, easy, and casual loungewear features knit dress and top with asymmetrical neckline, long sleeves, shoulder strap, and tie belt.  Dress A has side slit.  Skirt C is midcalf length and has elastic waistband.  Pants D are long, flowy, and wide leg, and have elastic waistband.  I made views B and D with minor adjustments.

This pattern comes in sizes small to xx large all in pattern.  I used between sizes medium and large.  My outfit looks like the photo/drawing and the instructions were super easy.  There is nothing complex or confusing about them.  I wanted this to be a super quick construction process for me.  So I used different construction methods.  All modifications are listed in the alteration/change section below.

My likes are:

  • Easy to sew - My number one favorite like.   The pants were easy.  They are literally a simple two-piece pattern pajama pant.  The top is a modified t-shirt pattern with an exposed shoulder.  I made this outfit from start to finish on Christmas Eve.  It took about 5 hours. 
  • Cute and Festive - With the combination of the style and fabric, it is a very festive outfit.  Perfect for the holiday.
  • Comfortable - Knit fabric and relaxed comfort.  Perfect.  No tight, binding clothes on Christmas.  So no distractions from enjoying my family during our Christmas celebration.  Joy.

I have no dislikes.

 

My fabric is a champagne, textured, novelty knit.  I purchased it at Vogues Fabrics on Roosevelt Rd about ten years ago.  It has about 30 percent stretch and great recovery.  The texture is my favorite.  It is medium weight and has a semi- dry hand.  It's not rough though if that makes sense.  This fabric was very easy to work with and that helps with finishing the hems.

Now, the alterations and construction changes.  My apologies, the alteration changes for fit may not be helpful in this case.  I simply made them as I cut out my outfit.  I'll start with the easiest, the pants.  All I needed was to add about 4 inches to the length of them.  Simply cutting them longer for the bottom edge.  For my top at the bust area (starting 2.5 inches from the top of the side seam) I tapered out about 1/2 inch then tapered back to the edge of the pattern to add a little more room in the bust area.  So it looked a little like a crescent moon on the side.  Sewing the side seam, I had to do a little easing to maintain the integrity of the length of the front side seam.  I also added an inch to the length of both sleeves.  Nothing more on fit.

For the construction changes I did the following:

Top -

  • No double stitching the seams.  I straight stitched them.  For the hem and the upper edge of the neckline/sleeve, I serged the edges turned and stitched.
  • Upper edge (neckline/sleeve) I left and opening to thread a narrow elastic through the channel to help maintain the shape of the neckline/sleeve.  First, I measured the circumference.  Then I cut the elastic 3 inches shorter than the circumference. 
  • Attaching the shoulder strap. I stitched it to the edge of the hem, adjusting the location based on where my bra strap falls.  To reinforce it, I also stitched it to the edge just above the initial attachment stitching (avoiding the elastic).




Pants -

  • Again no double stitching the seams.  I follow the same seaming for the pants.
  • Casing for the elasticized waist.  No turning the raw edges in.  I serged the edge of the waist and the hem.  I turned them and stitched them down. Nothing fancy, but all finishings are neat and clean.



That's it.

 

I planned to make this outfit at least one more time.  I already have a fabric in mind.  But that's another review.  Lol

 


This is an easy pattern to sew.  I do recommend it to all level sewists.  Depending on your fabric, you can dress it up or down.  

 

I am very pleased with how this outfit turned out.  It was perfect for the Christmas family holiday celebration.

Happy Sewing!

C

9 comments:

  1. This is a great sew, and you look lovely in your Christmas outfit. I think white looks great beside a Christmas tree. Thank you for the alteration details, which I always enjoy. I am the opposite to you: I have to take at least 4-6 inches out of the length of a garment. It is always worth it for a perfect fit and your have done such a brilliant job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. The fit adjustments are always worth the effort. We put so much time into our sewing.

      Delete
  2. Cennetta, Cennetta oh how beautiful this is! Love your color and fabric choice! Although a simple pattern, you turned it into something very elegant and chic. Before I saw your post last week, I had this pattern on my cutting table. Needless to say that after seeing your version, I’m excited to make mines! Thanks for all the tips and the review! Looking forward to seeing more from you in 2024. Happy New Year Sew Sister! - Tonya Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tonya. I'm so glad my review is helpful. That is one of my goals, to help. And another is to inspire. Please share you outfit. I'd really like to see your version. Also, I'm hoping fir a productive sewing year. Cheers and happy sewing!
      C

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic holiday outfit! Lotsa oomph for five hours of sewing! Looks $$$. I may have to check this pattern out...I wouldn't have given it a second glance cause I'm not a 'cold shoulder' fan...but yours looks so good I might just have to make a paradigm shift... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, I hope you had a wonderful holiday season. Thanks so much for your lovely comments. Oh yes, the pattern envelope is kind of "dry". In so many cases, they could do better with looking us how to make great clothes out of them. Anyway, this one was perfect for my little holiday outfit.

      Delete
  4. This outfit is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous, Cenetta. I love that you took the methods you did and yet it is stll so beautifully sewn. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin