Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Black and White Color Blocked Easy Coordinates with Simplicity S9690




When you are short on fabric, try color blocking.  It is a great way to use fabric remnants.  I was able to make a coordinating top for two pair of pull-on pants that I made using Simplicity S9690.

 


Pattern Description:  Cold shoulder top A has scoop neckline with long sleeves.  Top B is short sleeved.  Both pants C and D have knit contrast on waistband.  Jogger pants D has ankle cuffs and pin tucks.  I made views top A and pants C with a few modifications.

Pattern Sizing:  size groups (8 - 16) (18-26).  I used size 16.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Pretty much.  I did color block the top and I made little pleats in front of the pants.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  The instructions were super easy, and there was nothing in them that was confusing.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked that the pattern was easy to sew.  In the early part of summer, I was sewing really basic patterns and garments trying to jump start my sewing mojo.

Fabric Used:  These are two more fabrics that I purchased at Hobby Lobby.  They really have some deals on basic fabrics.  Great place for beginners to shop.  The fabric is a knit crepe.  I pre-washed and dried it before starting my project.  It came from the dryer softer and bouncy.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made some changes.  Most of them were due to fabric shortage. Lol.




  • Top A - I decided to color block the top using the remnants from the two pairs of pants that I made.  
  • For the sleeves I added separate pieces to make the sleeves long enough.  I also added some topstitching to make the add on look intentional.  
  • Instead of using binding to finish the neckline, I used the fashion fabric to finish it.

Surprisingly, I didn't make my usual fit adjustments.  I thought the style ease in the top would be enough for the "fit adjustments" that I normally make.

 


  • Pants C - I added little pleats to the front of the pants.  I did not want all the gathers across the front caused by the elasticized waistband.  Also, I reduced the length of the waistband.
  • Lengthen the pants a few inches so that they would be long enough.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes and yes.  This is an easy, quick pattern to sew.  Great for beginners.

Conclusion: Sometimes you need a few super easy projects to jump start your sewing mojo.  This one is great for that.  It is also a great beginner pattern that offers some creative designs.

Happy Sewing!

C


2 comments:

  1. You look fantastic! What a cool idea for an outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the resourcefulness of adding fabric to lengthen the sleeves. Very clever to do top stitching to make it look intentional. Thank you for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin