Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Denim Tote Bags - Simplicity S9618




I'm still working on my summer project posts.  It is a challenge trying to get everything posted before I start posting the fall garments that I have already made this and last month.  My goal this week is to get all summer projects posted.  

This post is all about tote bags.



I used Simplicity S9618.  This was a "Sew Your Own View" project of the Instagram page of the same name.  I believe the challenge was last year.  Anyway, this summer I finally was able to make two totes, Views A and C with modifications.






Neither tote is for me: view A is for my DD and view C is for my niece.

So let me begin with the descriptive information on the pattern envelope. Lol  It’s one sentence: tote bag in three sizes.  No information about the straps, handles, or binding.  Typical. Lol

Of course the size you choose is up to you. I also think that the details are also based on your preference.  You can mix and match them according to your own taste and design.

For the most part, view A does look like the drawing.  I added a little patch on the front.  I didn't make the strap, but I did attach the loops to the inside side of the bag.  For the large tote I chose not to use seam binding for the outer edge.  I finished the outside much like view A.

The instructions were easy to follow and there was not anything confusing in them.

 

There are a few things I like about the pattern and the views that I made:

 

  • the tote is an inspirational design for the Marc Jacob tote bag 
  • the style of the tote
  • that the bag comes in three bag sizes
  • easy to make

Now, I do have a few dislikes, which are related to the construction of the bag:

  • using the heavy denim fabric, it was very hard to sew through all layers.  So at the very top of the bags I wasn't able to do the finishing stitches.  They don't look as polished as I would like.  Next time, I will trim some of the bulk away.
  • The base of the bag does not have the support that I want.   Maybe a piece of cardboard in the bottom will help.  I need to figure something out to make it better.

The denim fabrics were purchased at JoAnn's.  I grabbed them from the remnant bins for a reduced price.  Both denim are tightly woven and sturdy.  Perfect for a tote bag.  For the lining (small tote), the floral cotton comes from a wholesaler that my DD found on etsy.  I can't remember the name.  The cotton for the large tote came from JoAnn's.  Simple cotton novelty fabric.

 







I did make a few changes:

 

View A.

  •  I didn't make the strap
  • for the top flap with the zipper closure, I lined it for a polished finish
  • for the handles, I pressed them in half and turned in the seam allowance.  That was easier than following step 1.

View C.

  •  I pretty much sew this bag the same as the small tote
  • I changed the way I finished the handles.  Instead of the instructed method and the method used for view A, I decided to press the seam allowance toward the middle of the handle then turning in the allowance for a clean finish.  This helped reduce the bulk on one side of the handles.  See photos below.
  • The fold of the handles are turned inward instead of outward.
Prep for strap for view C -





I enjoyed making these totes, with the exception of a few construction obstacles.  I do plan to make at least one more tote for myself.  This is a great tote to try, and I do recommend it to others.  Be ready to use a heavy sewing machine needle (18) on those really bulky areas.




Overall I think the totes turned out pretty good.  Next time I'm hoping for better results.  These are a great gift idea.  

 

Happy Sewing!

C

 

 

 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin