Monday, February 8, 2021

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe



I wanted to start the work week with a delightful soup recipe.  Here goes.  I hope you try it and like it.


3lb Butternut Squash (I used two squashes for this recipe)

Vegetable Broth (vegan) or Chicken Broth

1 Can Coconut Milk

3 Tbsps. Olive Oil

3 Garlic Cloves (minced)

1 small onion (chopped)

3 Tbsps. Fresh Sage (cut)

3 Tbsps. Fresh Ginger (minced)

2 tsps. Rosemary

Salt 

Pepper

Cinnamon

2 Red Skin Potatoes Optional

1 Cup Fresh Spinach Optional




First things first.  You want to cut the squash into 1 inch cubes.  Or you can roast it in the oven at 375 degrees.  Simply slice the squash in half, Scoop out the seeds and the stringy substance, place on a cookie sheet or shallow pan uncovered.  Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes or until tender.  This makes it easy to remove from the skin and gives you a head start on cooking the soup.  After squash has been roasted, let it cool.  Then scoop the squash into a bowl.  




Over a medium flame add olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven. Then add garlic, onion, ginger, sage, rosemary.  Stir until tender.  The smell is delightful. Now you want to add the squash, broth, and coconut milk to the mixture.






With a Cuisinart Quick Prep, I blend the ingredients together until the squash is smooth. Allow the soup to come to a low boil.  Add salt, pepper, and cinnamon to your taste.  







Optional - You can choose to add potatoes or spinach.  I like to add a few potatoes.  At the point of boil, I add bite-size potatoes to the soup.  Cook until tender.  You may add spinach as well.  First chop it up and add at the boil point cook a few minutes and it's done.



Meal ideas - You can serve the soup with you favorite bread.  For this meal I served it with Bruschettini.  You can serve with bake chicken (non-vegan). 



Enjoy and stay warm!

C



1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious and I will make it! I never put spinach in soup; it gets dark and slimy. Instead, I put a handful of fresh spinach leaves in my soup bowl and pour hot soup over them. The spinach stays flavorful and not slimy at all.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin