Monday, November 12, 2012

V8825 Really is Very Easy

This is a quick save from by last dress disappointment. This dress literally sewed up in a few hours. And I'm happy with the results. It was 70 degrees and windy on Sunday morning, but we were able to get a few deceit photos.  

Pattern Description:
MISSES' TUNIC, DRESS AND PANTS: Pullover tunic or dress has front extending into back collar, fitted, front pleated bodice, raised waist, tie ends, two-piece sleeves with barrel cuffs, and stitched hem. Fitted, straight-legged pants (below waist) have elastic waist.


Pattern Sizing:
8 to 24; I used a 16 with modifications. But here again I could have used 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
A piece of cake. I barely looked at them. The only problem a beginner may have is at the neck and shoulder seams. But if you properly mark the circles and sew it precisely as instructed, you will be okay.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
There are several things I liked about this pattern. There are: - pleated bodice - cut on sleeve with barrel cuffs - Tie to create a more attractive waistline. - Center back seam with darts so I could easily address my sway back adjustments No dislikes.

Fabric Used:
I got this knit from Vogue on Roosevelt Rd. It was on the novelty knits table for $4.99 per yard. It's a medium weight poly knit with two way stretch. The feel is kind of spongy, but a soft hand. The texture has a crepey, pebble affect.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I thought I could minimize the adjustments if I used size 16. I did make a 1" FBA and rotated the dart to the pleats at the waist. At the center back seam I sewed the bottom half seam at 7/8". I also sewed 7/8" waist seam. At the neckline, I didn't finish the seam as recommended. The fabric was too bulky. So I just joint the upper edge of the collar across the back of the neck. Also, I didn't double seam any of the seams. I pressed open most of them. I serged the cuffs to the sleeves and I serged the neckline and hem. I also had to sew the seam and lower arm seams at 1" because the dress was too big along the sides. The barrel cuffs were also to big. So I sewed them with a 1" seam allowance. This time I didn't add any length to the skirt. I didn't mind if it was slightly shorter than pictured on the envelope.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Probably not. I really like this dress, but one is enough. There are at least 20 dress patterns I'd like to try this winter. I may sew the pants though. Yes I would recommend this pattern. It sews up quickly and is a attractive silhouette.

All photos on Flickr.

Conclusion: I'm glad I tried this pattern. It's a quick and easy project with great results.

Happy Sewing! C

33 comments:

  1. I love this color and dress on you! It is an amazing dress and you totally did it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great, I have this in my stack and am so glad to see it made up . What a great dress for winter, long sleeves but very shapely and comfy. fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks sensational on you! Simple but elegant, and the colour is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and flattering dress in a great color. I like your necklace draping along the neckline, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful color on you. Great dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet you wear this a lot. It's so flattering and easy,(by easy I mean not fussy) yet it has great style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a beautiful color on you and I love how you styled it. Great job, Cenetta!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is on my 'to sew soon' list--I have a crepey rayon/lycra jersey in a paisley pattern (background color is purple)--it's cut out; all I need to do is sew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very very nice. Looks fantastic on you. Such a deep rich color and a fantastic fit. Fabulous...just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really lovely. Beautiful colour, beautiful dress, beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so gorgeous and looks completely fabulous on you. I need this pattern immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a pretty Fall color! The style of the dress is very flattering. I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, you look smashing in this dress and the color is gorgeous on you! Very, very, pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this dress is a complete knockout and so are you. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE that color!!! Gorgeous lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this dress shape and colour on you. It's very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It may be really very easy, but it is also really very gorgeous and in the colour of the season too. I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bought this pattern recently and I love it. Yours is gorgeous and the colour is so lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This dress looks great on you and glad you posted about it. I have not paid any attention to this pattern until now. I just may have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty dress!!! love the color. I have this pattern... I am going to make this one for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty. I love that color--very elegant. The jewelry is perfect with it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the sleeves. Looks great on you. Wear with pride:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You make it look easy!!! Love this dress, you look so beautiful!

    I'll have to check the Vogue in Evanston!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful dress and a blessing that it was easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely stunning ... Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This dress is really great on you! You did a great job !

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just bought this pattern because of your post, fantatic, great photos and beautiful color. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You look AMAZING!! That color is YOU!! The fit, the hair, the accessories all work!

    ReplyDelete
  29. THAT is a gorgeous dress, Cennetta!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So nice I want to go out and buy the pattern and some fabric this minute, so that I can have one too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin