Monday, December 3, 2007

Knit Tops - Urban College Girl Fall 2007

It has taken me a over a week to finish this post. These knit tops were completed on November 24th. Lauren has already worn two of them. The collection pieces were selected with "no fuss" to wear or care. The patterns are all pre-2005, but are classic designs. These can be considered staple for any wardrobe.







This is my favorite.

Pattern Description: MISSES’/MISSES’ PETITE TOP: Close-fitting, pullover top has collar variations and unstitched hems (Raw edges will show).

Pattern Sizing: (XS S M) (6, 8-10, 12-14) (L XL)
(16-18 20-22)


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I only read the instructions for the collar application. The rest looked like standard instructions for putting together a simple knit top.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? My DD wanted simple, but stylish easy to wear and care for tops. So this was ideal for her. Nothing to dislike.

Fabric Used: This fabric was purchased from the Textile Discount Warehouse. DD found it in one of the remnant bins on the second floor. It's a polyester knit.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I did a broad shoulder alteration and I stayed the shoulder seam with a stripe of fusible interfacing.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will probably sew it again. This a wardrobe staple that can be dressed up or down.

Conclusion I like this top. It went together easy and is a good project for beginners.







Pattern Description: Misses' Knit tops.

Pattern Sizing: 4 - 20. I sewed a size 8, view D.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, except for the lace down the front and around the sleeve.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were easy to follow. Nothing confusing about them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?This pattern has six different tops. I thought that was a lot of bang for my buck. ;-) Nothing to dislike.

Fabric Used: white on white polyester knit from Vogue Fabrics.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I did a broad shoulder alterations and applied a stripe of fusible interfacing to help stay the shoulder seams. I didn't like the suggested finish for the neckline. So I used the narrow band application described in the Kwik Sew's Beautiful Lingerie Master Pattern book, page 61 & 62. Basically, I cut a stripe of fabric (1 1/2"w) the length of the neckline opening. Then I sewed the ends together, right sides together, and press the seam open. Folded the band double lengthwise, wrong sides and raw edges together. Divided the neckline and the band into fourth with pins. Pinned the band to the neckline, matching the pins. Sewed the band to the top. overlocked the edges. Top stitched the band to the top. Folded the front and the band, right sides together, stitched the center front to create the "V". I exclused the lace trim.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will probably sew the other views of this pattern.

Conclusion A quick and easy project to compliment DD's wardrobe.












Pattern Description: Girls' and Girls Plus Top, T Shirt, Skirt in Two Lengths and Pants. Top has shoulder straps, back loops andd ties; T-shirt has short or bell sleeves; skirt in two lenths and pants have fron and darts and back zipper closure.

Pattern Sizing:Girls 7 - 16; Girls' Plus 10 1/2 - 16 1/2.
I sewed a size 16; creating a variation of the t-shirt -- loose sleeves.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? No. I used this pattern as a guide to make two t-shirts for my DD.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I really didn't use them as this pattern only had three pieces: front, back, and sleeve. I added a neck band. They look nicer and adds durability to the neckline. So I follow basic knit top instruction method the put the tops together.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? DD wants easy wear and easy care clothing. This is that plus easy to sew. These tops went together easy.

Fabric Used: Very stretchy knit black and red knit fabric found in the remenant section at Vogue's. I think DD paid about $3.50 it. The second top in a white knit with navy stripes. Also found in the remenant section. Very cheap. Don't ya love it when you find a deal?

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Added interfacing to the shoulder seams; broad shoulder alteration. So I used the narrow band application described in the Kwik Sew's Beautiful Lingerie Master Pattern book, page 61 & 62. Basically, I cut a stripe of fabric (1 1/2"w) the length of the neckline opening. Then I sewed the ends together, right sides together, and press the seam open. Folded the band double lengthwise, wrong sides and raw edges together. Divided the neckline and the band into fourth with pins. Pinned the band to the neckline, matching the pins. Sewed the band to the top. overlocked the edges. Top stitched the band to the top. I changed the style of the sleeve by folding back the belled section to create a straight sleeve.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Maybe. All depends on what DD wants.

Conclusion Easy pattern to work with. Very simple pieces.

6 comments:

  1. Four new tops are definately wardrobe builders. I like all of them. I have that butterick pattern - was it quick to sew up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tops! She'll get plenty of wear out of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy! The tops are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faye, All of the tops were easy to sew up. It a little time to add the neckband, but I think it's worth it. It makes the tops look more ready to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tops! I bet your daughter is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tops for your dd!They all looked great.Looks like she loves them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin