Friday, December 21, 2007

My DD, My Little Poet


Yesterday morning we received six copies of "Forever Spoken". My DD submitted an entry to a poetry writing contest earlier this year and was selected as a finalist. Needless to say, I am one proud mama. DD has been writing and is published in a few journals and periodicals, none of which paid anything. Tee Hee. This particular contest could yield a cash prize of $10,000. LAWD Have Mercy! Please let her win! We need some tuition money. We have at least three and half years to complete the bachelor and master's degree.

Here is her entry.


Distance

It hasn't really been long ...

But life makes it fell like forever.

Your voice telling me what you don't want to hear

Forces me to clutch at that which was never.

Lilting chords of what used to be,

But what never could exist tinkle in the back of my head,

And listening to that unending song,

The ebb and flow of together ...

I feel that long distance coming to an end.

I struggle and fight, cry and scream.

No amount of wanting or longing could ever fix this thing.

It's broken beyond repair. It never should have been.

I let that part of myself wither and die.

Shut you out to stop the pain

And float along in the wind ...

Lost myself to that long distance again.

I know it's only a feeble lie, an excuse to keep trying,

But if it never was ... then neither was I.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is a nice accomplishment. I hope she makes it to the finals and wins $10K.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin