Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Brightness of V8644




When I first saw this pattern, I thought it was similar to Vogue 8594. So I decided not to buy it. Then at the next sale, I convinced myself that the jacket was included and the design lines were "slightly" different. So I end up buying it anyway.

Here's my review:

Pattern Description: MISSES' JACKET AND DRESS: Semi-fitted, lined jacket has neckline pleats and darts, princess seams and three-quarter length sleeves with elbow darts. Fitted, lined dress with bodice and yoke, side slant pockets, back slit, back zipper closing and mid-knee length.

Pattern Sizing: 8 - 22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? They are typical instructions for a lined sleeveless skirt waist dress and a princess seams jacket. So for the most part, I did not look at them as I put the garments together.

I will say this though, for steps 30 and 31 I wish they would instruct sewists to "not match" the small circle to attach the lining to the skirt. For better results: "no puckering" move the lining small circle a 1/4 inch above the small circle on the skirt.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I like to pleated neckline on the jacket and the design lines on the dress back bodice.

No dislike.

Fabric Used: Linen Look (50/50 Poly/Rayon). I used a fabric not recommended. But I thought it would work for this outfit. It doesn't wrinkle as much and just as easy to handle as linen.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made a few alternations:

-FBA on the jacket and dress
-Sway back Adjustment to both folding out the excess across the lower back. Also reducing the width of the lower back cutting the pattern at size 12 (not illustrated).
- At the under area of the dress, I added 1/2 inch where the side seams meet decreasing as I approached the notches on the side front and side back. Sorry on illustration in the flickr set.
- A slight broad shoulder adjustment. Again no illustration but it's a typical adjustment for broad shoulders and prominent shoulder blades.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I think the jacket would compliment a variety of short sleeve or no sleeve tops. I don't think I'll make the dress again.

This is pattern is fairly descent. It goes together easily. I did notice the skirt is narrow in the hips. And the jacket at the side front has a little too much fabric. I think that's because of the FBA. So you may have to move some of the width at the lower armhole.

It's labelled as a Divine Details. This one does not have as much detail as you might expect for the line of patterns. Vogue 8594 has twice as many details in the skirt and bodice.

Conclusion: I'm pleased with the results. This pattern is so me. I like it; and if this is one of your favorite silhouettes, try it.

Fashion Trend - Big Bold Jewelry. Pictured: necklace, ring and earrings from Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company. Bracelet designed by my DD.



Here is the link to my flickr set for illustrations of the FBA.

28 comments:

  1. OH WOW! I absolutely love, love, love your outfit! Yellow used to be my favorite summer color & seeing this outfit re-affirms that to me. You look great and it is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to mentin I love the jewelry too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning! You'll look so radiant. Your work is always so polished.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work and great colour for you. I'd like to see the yellow jacket worn with a white shell top and black pants. Or the creme pants you made a while back?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely dress and jacket! You look spectacular in yellow:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, yellow is one of my favorite colors. The ensemble with the jewerly is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sheath dress. The color is gorgeous on you. Funny how we justify another pattern!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree - I'm lovin the yellow. Perfect summer shift dress. Couldn't you just wear a shift dress every day? They are the epitomy of simple, but sophisticated chic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, the fit is absolutely perfect! It looks absolutely stunning on you! Much envy coming your way from this corner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my gosh. This is stunning. You look great, and the construction is top-notch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful suit, this color is magnificent on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a beautiful dress/jacket. I LOVE yellow. It is such a statement color. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look stunning! Wonderful outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look stunning in your bright yellow outfit! I bought this pattern too but only for the jacket. Hopefully I will get to it some time soon especially since your beautiful outfit has inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous outfit! A beautiful color (I've got on a jacket in the same color today) and wonderful fit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is gorgeous...Love that color on you....

    ReplyDelete
  17. This colour is incredible on you, it makes your face glow! It is a gorgeous outfit and I love the jewellery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look fabulous in this gorgeous outfit. The fit is perfect as well. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that color! It's a great summer suit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a fabulous fit and color on you. You look wonderful as usual.

    Sorry to learn of your health issue. Praise God you were able to persist and get the treatment and support you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a stunning garment , the color is so bright and looks so good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning! You've achieved the perfect fit... Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this! I found your site by clicking "next blog" LOL What a blessing to find another Black sewing blogger! I'll be back often.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How on earth did I miss this eye-popping post?! You make this lovely yellow even lovelier! Ab.so.lute.ly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I too love the pleating. But a light lining is needed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin