Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Butterick 5497


I bought this pattern a few weeks ago with the idea I wouldn't have to make fitting alterations. Every once in a while I want something that does not take a lot of time altering to fit. Butterick rates this one as easy. True..,

This was the last pattern in the drawer and it did not include my size. But I purchased it anyway. Size 12 was close enough as I could add more to the seams to get size 14; plus there is a lot of style ease in the upper bodice.
My review:

Pattern Description: MISSES' TOP: Tops A, B, C, loose-fitting at bust, have short or long dolman sleeves, gathered upper section, shoulder casings with elastic and stitched hems. A, B: lapped upper back sections have neck binding. C: upper front and back cut on crossgrain, shading may occur.
I made View A.

Pattern Sizing: 6 - 20; two separate groups.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were ok.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Likes - the design of the tops. I actually like all three views. it's easy.
Dislikes - No dislikes.

Fabric Used: cornsilk bamboo knit purchased at Vogue's last year.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: The only changes I made was to scale it up to size 14. After I finished it, I tried it on to see how it looked. The lower bodice is kind of long on my torso. So I decided to add ruching on the side as well. Plus it's more flattering with the rushing. I just followed the same process for added elastic to the shoulder seams. First by measuring the length of the elastic against my body for the desired length. Then I inserted it and stitched across to secure it. Not hard to do.




After stitching the upper bodice to the lower sections I noticed I didn't "cross" the back section in the right direction. That's okay though. You get the same affect. Lol




Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes. I want to at least make view C. And yes I recommend it to others. It takes a little time inserting the elastic and depending on the knit - careful sewing. In particular at the neck binding. The bamboo is very soft and it curls a bit. So I hand stitched the openings to have better control and a better finish.


Conclusion: I like this top and plan to make at least one more (view c).

20 comments:

  1. Very cute top! Do you think a bra strap would show through the back opening?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a little bit at the top of the strap. But a convertible bra would solve that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice - it is fun to sew something easy (without all the fitting routine) every once in a while, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely top. Beautiful job.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is top is sooo cute. I might have copy you on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ruching turned out well. The effect is fashion-forward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never noticed this pattern; thanks so much for pointing it out! It would be a perfect going out top...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made a similarly styled Burda top recently and I was surprised at how flattering it was when I put it on. This is a lovely colour and I'm sure it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the back view for this top. Its elegant and sexy without being overexposed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very flattering top! I love the softness of the color as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a marvelous top. So drapey. Retro-looking. You'll enjoy wearing that, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hadn't noticed this pattern before, I really like your version and how you've styled it with the necklace too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That top looks great with your modifications. I think the ruching is more appealing than the original! I had to look that pattern up because I thought it would have been impossible for me to miss this one! Yours is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty top. I especially love the style of the back and the ruching detail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE your version of this top! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Top. The ruching at the waist was a nice addition to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  17. AHHH!! I LOVE this top! I must go out and buy this pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this top. The rouching is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an elegant and fun evening top. I like the necklace you have paired with it, too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin