Monday, June 21, 2010

Grecian Style Dress - Simplicity 2692







Thursday afternoon, I thought to myself: "Self take a day off work to do some sewing." So Friday I spent time making this dress and another from S2938 (my next review of the day). This dress took a total of 3 1/2 hours from cutting to hemming. I'm really pleased with the results and may make another before the end of summer.

Here's my review:


Pattern Description: Misses' Dress in two length with Bodice variation. This is a Grecian style dress that can be made up in a woven or knit fabric.

Pattern Sizing: 4- 20

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. I decided to contrast the tie and midriff.

Were the instructions easy to follow? A breeze for view C with the shoulder tie of view D.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the Grecian design of the dress. No dislike.

Fabric Used: A polyester knit from my stash (black and magenta) and the contrast is matte jersey leftover from another project. Last year I purchased the at Vogue Fabric. It has a soft hand and is very stretchy with great recovery. I did not know what I'd make out of it, but thought it was very pretty and unique.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

- Added about an inch and a half to the bottom of the bodice. And two inches to the length of the skirt.
- Omitted the zipper thinking I wouldn't need it as the fabric is very stretchy. But if you make this in a woven or straight matte jersey, add the zipper to the side seam.
- Contrasted the midriff and tie.

Design -

Before laying the pattern pieces on the fabric, I experimented with the placement of the "diamond" shapes in the fabric making sure they fell on the most flattering area of my body. The coordination of the fabric design was key in how the design of the dress would look on my body.






Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I'm considering view A out of some Georgette that I have in my stash. And yes I would recommend it to others. Several PR members tried this pattern already creating their own one of a kind dresses.


Conclusion: If you are making a cute Grecian style dress this summer, try this one. It easy to sew.

30 comments:

  1. Cenetta,
    This dress is BEAUTIFUL, and you look fabulous in it.
    Tyna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful! Looks stunning on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Pretty and it's such a nice fit on you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extremely elegant on you.
    Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Gorgeous!!!! I think I need one of these this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this! I love the color, the pattern placement, the length and even the shoulder tie! Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress is smashing. It drapes beautifully and looks as if it would move about you as you walk--or dance! Wonderful fabric choice--well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah.. a dress to bring out the Goddess within! It's beautiful. Your pattern matching is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cenetta, this is a fabulous dress, you really rock girl....Voooooooooooom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it's lovely! You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cenetta you look oh so fabulous in this dress! The Grecian style suits you well:) I love the shapes and colors in your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowza!
    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the dress and that fabulous fabric. The last picture makes it look even BETTER!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey good looking! Truly a very nice dress. You wear it very well

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This dress is really fabulous on you. As is the yellow one in the previous post. Glad to see you making some gorgeous things for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look so HOT in this!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely LOVE this dress!! It's stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! I might have to make one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. BEAUTIFUL! I love everything: the design, the print (and mostly how you aligned it)... It's perfection in every way and you wear it wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! and your matching job is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this dress. The print you used is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a such a great dress! It looks fantastic on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good post and Smart Blog
    Thanks for your good information and i hope to subscribe and visit my blog Ancient Egypt and more Horus Egyptian God Story thanks again admin

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin