Thursday, June 3, 2010

Who Is Jill Scott? Making It Hot in Chi-Town


Last week I had the absolute pleasure of attending another Jill Scott concert. It was all I expected it to be. Ms. Jill Scott and Maxwell, both center stage at the United Center in Chicago.


My sister, friends, and I where seated in the mezzanine, entering at Gate 6. The house was packed with fans from around the Chicago land area. Much excitement filled the stadium. Each time I am privileged to attend a concert I find myself scanning the arena and thinking about the number of people attending. It's so amazing to me to see the crowd of spectators. Jill was on first.


If you don't know Jill's music, I'm here to tell you she is a artist in the true sense of the word. Her poetic lyrics pull you in. Then the melodious voice add body and richness to the stories that she tells. Jill is phenomenal. With her killer vocals, she belted out all of my favorite tunes: A Long Walk, He Loves Me, Golden. Just to name a few.


Some call her music neo-soul, a sweet mixture of contemporary R&B and 70's style music with elements of hip-hop. I call it beautiful. There was a moment in the show where Jill did this operatic run at the end of a song. Her range and ability is off the chart. Clearly she is in a class by herself. No need to say I enjoyed the concert. It was worth the money.



I would be remiss not to mention the soulful sounds of Maxwell. He followed Jill in song with his greatest hits and some new music. His jam session was noteworthy. All in all the concert was worth it.

8 comments:

  1. I was just thinking TODAY about how a friend once said she thought I would enjoy Jill Scott, and I never did pick up a CD! Is there one you would recommend first? BTW was that first photo taken from your concert seat? If so, that is some kind of access!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was a good concert. I know her name, but I'd never listened to her before. So, I went to Pandora and created a radio station for her. I am listening right now. I love female voices; women who use their voices as instruments and she certainly qualifies. Thanks for turning me on to her and adding her to my list of interesting women singers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a beautiful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Antoinette,
    My favorite CD's are Who is Jill Scott: Words and Sounds, Vol 1 and Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds, Vol 2. I grabbed the photo from another website as I couldn't get a good picture at the concert.Thanks again and enjoy.

    Nancy,
    Glad you like the music.
    Enjoy!

    Sheila,
    Yep, Jill always delivers.
    Thanks again,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Jill Scott! Glad you had a great time. My daughter took me to see Erykah Baduthe other day. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, Girl I love Jill Scott! Saw her in Baltimore and she was the truth! Glad you got a chance to go.

    My husband gave me her book of poetry for a gift and she is a skilled poetess. It's a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Ms. Jill! Love her style too and beautiful hair! Another good one is Indie Arie. One day I'll get the pleasure of experiencing Jill in concert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review of Jill I was thinking about going to her concert Now I am going to get tickets if it is not to late

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin