Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Spring Blouses - M5884


Pattern Description: MISSES' BLOUSES: Loose fitted, pullover blouses A, B, C, D have self or contrast collar with tie ends, sleeveless or sleeves and stitched hem; blouse B has short sleeves with stay; blouse C has contrast collar and tie ends, below elbow sleeves with contrast cuffs; blouse D has long sleeves with placket opening and buttoned cuffs.

This blouse has been on my to do list for quite some time. It was LisaRM's version that really help move this to the top of my list. I cut two of View B with only slight modifications.

Pattern Sizing: 6- 20

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Pretty much.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes they were. However, I made a few changes.

White blouse - I followed almost all of the instructions, only changing how I attached the inner-sleeve. Skipping step 25, I attached the outer-sleeve of the blouse. Then I attached the inner-sleeve and serged all layers.



Fuschia blouse - The same change above and I didn't make the slit at CF as deep. The opening is very low. Untied, the base of your bra is visible. The third change, I top stitched the opening instead of understitching it. In the white version, the opening felt a little weak. So I thought this would reinforce the area.




What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Likes - The tie and the puffed sleeves of view B. From the photo it looked like one of the care free blouse. Something you can just throw on and not worry about readjusting.

Dislikes - It takes a lot of fabric to make this blouse as the tie is cut on the bias. Because of the "juggling" of the pattern pieces and the type of fabic used, it was impossible to cut both blouses at the same time. Attaching the neck tie is pretty straight forward, but because it was cut on the bias I had to carefully sew it to the blouse front making sure the gathers were as indicated in the instructions and the photos.

Fabric Used: Silky polyester that I purchased at JoAnn's last year.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I wanted my blouses to look as close to the illustration as possible. So I skipped making my normal FBA. Figuring there was enough style/wearing ease to accommodate the needed space, I cut the bust area at size 16 and the rest at size 14. In retrospect, a slight FBA is adviseable. Plus the changes mentioned above.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I think I'm done with the one. My stash is overflowing with top and blouse patterns that I want it try. But I will recommend it to others.

Conclusion: This is an okay pattern to try. The draping is not perfect, but workable. You may want to make a few changes. I will definitely enjoy wearing my blouses

15 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great color! The blouse like it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love that pink! Gorgeous job, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! That fuchsia color is great and I bet it looks amazing with your skin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are both very pretty blouses. Nice additions to your wardrobe, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous blouse. I love the shade of pink.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I love being a redhead, I would love to wear fuschia, too! Beautiful blouses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely! You know I bought this pattern because of Lisa's blouse too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a feminine and stylish pattern, and the color is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that pink is gorgeous, I think the pink and the ties makes it so feminine and pretty

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's REALLY pretty! I love the puff sleeves and the tie on the pink one... Great job :)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are cute blouses and I love both, but the pink is my favourite too..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous blouses. I love the style - tie necks and puffed sleeves always look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the color and style! You'll look fabulous in this blouse:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin